*Job no:* 501179
*Work type:* Instructional Faculty - Tenured/Tenure-Track
*Location:* Long Beach
*Categories:* Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association, Tenured/Tenure-Track, Full Time, Faculty - Health Sciences
*Position*: Assistant Professor of Health Science (Environmental Health/Epidemiology)
*Effective Date: *August 17, 2022 (Fall Semester)
*Salary Range: *Commensurate with qualifications and experience
*Application Deadline*: Review of applications to begin on or about November 3, 2021. Position opened until filled (or recruitment canceled).
[College of Health and Human Services](https://www.csulb.edu/college-of-health-human-services)
[Department of Health Science](https://www.csulb.edu/college-of-health-human-services/health-science)
* MD, Ph.D. or DrPH in Public Health or a closely related field including, but not limited to, program tracks/concentrations related to Environmental Health, Epidemiology, or a closely related discipline. [If doctoral degree is not in Public Health, must be formally trained in public health (e.g., M.P.H.) or have at least 2 years of public health experience.] Degree at time of application or official notification of completion of the doctoral degree by August 1, 2022.
* Demonstrated potential for teaching courses in the Health Science major (e.g., Environmental Health, Epidemiology, Environmental and Climate Justice, and/or related courses)
* Demonstrated potential for conducting research, scholarly and creative activities
* Demonstrated commitment to working successfully with a diverse student population*
*Preferred Qualifications: *
* Demonstrated potential or willingness to implement multiple teaching modalities (e.g., face-to-face, hybrid, online learning)
* Demonstrated potential or willingness to implement evidence-based teaching strategies that are effective for diverse learners
* Demonstrated knowledge and experience to develop curriculum in the areas of Environmental and Climate Justice
* Demonstrated potential or willingness to engage in research focused on achieving health equity for underserved populations
* Demonstrated potential or effectiveness in applying for external funding
* Demonstrated potential or willingness to provide service to the department, college, and campus and/or in the community or profession
* Provide high-quality instruction in the Department of Health Science that supports diverse student success. [Mode of instruction may include in-person, hybrid, online, and/or any combination thereof.]
* Develop a research agenda with high-quality outcomes leading to academic publications and discipline-specific conferences which may benefit diverse populations
* Maintain and apply for external funding to support research agenda
* Participate in the development of undergraduate and graduate curriculum
* Mentor and advise undergraduate and graduate students
* Work collaboratively within the institution including the department, college, and university
* Engage in activities that support diversity, equity, and inclusion on campus, in local and global communities, and the profession
* Participate in service to the department, college, university, community, and profession
CSULB seeks to recruit faculty who enthusiastically support the University's strong commitment to the academic success of all of our students, including students of color, students with disabilities, students who are first generation to college, veterans, students with diverse socio-economic backgrounds, and students of diverse sexual orientations and gender expressions. CSULB seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the People of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students a rich variety of expertise, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
*About the Department
*The Department of Health Science's mission is to aid and encourage students' development into knowledgeable professionals and life-long learners who will lead efforts to support health equity for all within the fields of health science, public health, community health, health education and other related areas. The program fosters the development of person- and community-centered health professionals who are culturally sensitive and responsive to the complex social determinants of health. Upon graduation, our students are able to support and enhance the physical, psychological and social well-being of people, individually and collectively, in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic metropolitan context.
The department offers degree options in School Health and Community Health Education and houses the Center for Health Equity Research and Center for Latino Community Health, Evaluation and Leadership Training. Through these centers and community-based partnerships, the department engages in training, research and service aimed at understanding and addressing the unique needs of underserved populations to enhance their health and well-being. Interdisciplinary collaborations aim to advance public health knowledge and delivery of health services.
Information on excellent benefits package available to CSULB faculty is located here:
*How to Apply - Required **Documentation: *
* An Equity and Diversity Statement about your teaching or other experiences, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population (maximum two pages, single-spaced). For further information and guidelines, please visit: [http://www.csulb.edu/EquityDiversityStatement](http://www.csulb.edu/EquityDiversityStatement)
* Letter of application addressing the required and preferred qualifications
* Three references (to be contacted for confidential letters of recommendation should you reach the *finalist* *stage*)
* *Finalists* should be prepared to submit an official transcript from institution awarding highest degree(s) including M.P.H., if applicable (e-transcript preferred, if available)
*How to Apply:* Click Apply Now icon to complete the CSULB online application
Requests for information should be addressed to:
Dr. Alaei, MD, DrPH, Chair, Professor
California State University, Long Beach
Department of Health Science
1250 Bellflower Boulevard
Long Beach, CA 90840-4902(562) 985-8036 or E-Mail: [firstname.lastname@example.org](mailto:email@example.com)*EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS:
*A background check (including a criminal records check and telephone reference check with most recent employer) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
CSULB is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can learn, live, and work in an atmosphere of tolerance, civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual, without regard to race or ethnicity (including color or ancestry), nationality, religion or religious creed, gender (or sex), gender identity (including transgender), gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, genetic information, age, veteran or military status. CSULB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
*Advertised:* Jul 22, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
*Applications close:* Open until filled