Manufacturing Sciences and Technology (MSAT) at Pfizer is looking for a highly motivated, versatile candidate to join our multidisciplinary team of scientists and engineers in Andover, MA. The group supports Pfizer's portfolio of late stage development and commercial biopharmaceuticals and vaccines, and is responsible for process troubleshooting, process improvements and second- generation process development. We are looking for someone who is eager to contribute independent thinking and technical excellence to the upstream cell culture and fermentation team.
The ideal candidate will be a valuable contributor to the upstream team within MSAT Andover. The role is well-integrated with the rest of the MSAT group and will involve a lot of collaborative work both within the group and across the Andover site.
In this role, the candidate will be responsible for designing and execute bioreactor experiments in bench-top bioreactors and associated scale-down equipment with the goal of developing robust, scalable, and high productivity processes that produce biotherapeutics with appropriate product quality attributes to treat human diseases. The candidate will also collaborate with manufacturing operations in process improvement & robustness initiatives and technical investigations as a subject matter expert to ensure product supply. The colleague may also be involved in innovation and technology development projects that seek to improve production processes both from a process engineering as well as a biological perspective that have the potential to increase process performance.ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plan and execute upstream process experiments at benchtop scale.
- Participates and significantly contributes to discussions in lab and project team meetings on design of experiments (bioreactor and shake flask) and interpretation of experimental data.
- Acts as a technical resource within the upstream group. Provides formal/informal mentoring to junior colleagues within work group/project team.
- Works under limited supervision with periodic review of achievement of results and experimental approaches employed. Manages own time to meet agreed targets. Develops plans for short-term work activities on own projects.
- Ensures effective, high-quality, timely and appropriate documentation in electronic laboratory notebooks and internal technical reports; presents data/ strategy to scientists and management in appropriate internal and external venues (technical meetings, project team meetings, conferences) as appropriate.
- Contributes to safe, efficient, effective and harmonious lab environment, ensures appropriate cleanliness and status/ operability of shared or assigned lab space or equipment; strong lab citizen and collaborative team player; approaches the job with energy and commitment; frequently demonstrates initiative.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary teams to resolve complex issues
- Assist in manufacturing investigations and process troubleshooting
- Assist on process improvement projects
- pHD in a relevant discipline 0-4 years Master's degree in a relevant discipline with at 7 years of experience applicable bioprocess experience or bachelor's degree with at least 9 + years of experience
- Proficient in aseptic technique (required)
- Proficient in benchtop bioreactor operation and associated analytical tools (required)
- Experience with bench scale cell culture and/or bacterial fermentation (required)
- An in-depth knowledge of bioreactor operations fed-batch, perfusion, and continuous modes of cell culture
- Strong trouble-shooting skills and extreme attention to detail required
- Prior experience developing and maintaining scale down models of commercial biopharmaceutical processes
- Prior experience in developing commercially relevant cell culture processes to produce pharmacologically active proteins
- Experience with control and data acquisition systems
- Demonstrated experience developing or introducing new technology into commercial processes
- Knowledge of all aspects of cell culture/fermentation, including batch, fed-batch, perfusion and harvest/clarification operations
- Familiarity with DoE and other statistical tools
- Experience with processing and interpreting large data sets
- Familiarity with regulatory filings, cGMP requirements and operational constraints
Involves typical bioprocessing lab activities (all the examples mentioned to some degree)
Other Job Details:
- May require some out of hours working to support laboratory work or participation in teleconferences with other global sites.
- Some travel may be required, but is not expected to be a standard aspect of role (
Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
- Last Date to Apply for Job: November 30 2021
- Eligible for Relocation Package
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development