The Senior Director, Global Medical Affairs, PIH Business Unit, is an integral member of the therapeutic area focused team. The Senior Director combines medical expertise and understanding of the patients and physicians' point of view with that of the Disease Area and the specific medicine(s). He/she is part of a working environment where colleagues always understand and exhibit customer-focused medical professionalism with honor and integrity. The Sr. Medical Director, Team Leader reports to the VP, IM NA Medical Affairs Lead ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Proactively bring patients' & physicians' voice to development efforts to provide medicines meeting their needs, on cross-functional teams, while considering the needs of customers, including payers.
- Understand the product/medicine and the formulation of the concept/strategy and how it relates to the customers' needs
- Serve as a reliable, trusted resource of accurate, current medical and scientific knowledge (e.g.: disease states, product label, statistics interpretation etc.), including competitive medicines, for internal and external stakeholders and customers
- Focus on patient and physician concerns, as it applies to the data and disease area. Commits to excellence by continually learning and expanding their expertise
- Conduct ongoing assessment of the benefit-risk of the medicine(s), considering new data, as it becomes available
- Objectively interpret technical and commercial information to deliver value added education to assigned teams. Serve as a translator between technical and commercial functions, driving the transfer and appropriate application of both commercial and clinical knowledge, ideas, and needs
- Collaborate with other regional Medical Affairs teams, Marketing/Commercial Development team(s), DAST, TASOT/BD, research, and other appropriate cross-functional teams in driving strategic direction from proof of concept through patent expiry for medical development, lifecycle plans, and regional/country plans for the medicine or/and therapeutic area upon request/based on need and given expertise.
- Contribute to the planning and timely, high quality execution of medical tactics to support the lifecycle plans
- Understand and effectively communicate current scientific knowledge, including medical needs, to different stakeholders, including patients, within disease area, customizing the communication for the audience leading to effective communication
- Establish how the medicine's profile fits into customer needs and the commercial strategy and compares to competitive medicines, effectively communicating same to various stakeholders, including patients.
- Lead working groups in a professional, inclusive manner encouraging open discussion as related to assigned activities and specific roles, while demonstrating respect for people.
- Proactively collaborate in the development and review of global promotional materials including participation in global review committee to ensure medical and scientific information are included in a medically appropriate context
- Partner with important external medical and scientific leaders in collaboration with field based medical colleagues and the medical country organization.
- Develop medical content for local congresses, symposia, promotional speakers and advisory boards and lead or participate in such activities in full compliance with Pfizer policy
- Take lead in organization of external meetings (examples but not limited to: advisory boards, congress and symposium) as appropriate enhancing the leadership skills and behaviors, influence in decision making, identifying strengths and areas to focus with exploring continued opportunities to excel in their role.
- Manage publication process including idea/concept generation, authorship and agency liaison, Publications Subcommittee review and allowing for promotional use
- Coach and provide medicine(s) or/and therapeutic area expertise to other medical and non-medical cross-functional colleagues including training.
- Proactively identify and address potential medical issues and ensure implementation of risk-management strategies in collaboration with team partners
- Proactively assess safety and regulatory aspects of the medicine with partners in these functional lines, including participation in safety and labeling working groups and potential interactions with the regulatory agency (ies) related to both promotional activities and labeling.
- Work within functional teams to develop a common interpretation of data, a shared understanding of how product attributes drive realistic product profiles and broad buy-in to the development strategies most likely to achieve optimal labeling, access and pricing.
- Manage vendors, budgets (track/forcast) and personnel (team leaders or matrix leaders)
- Team direct leadership and influence skills, Matrix leadership skills, excellent interpersonal skills, influence without authority ability
- Responsible for leading, managing, developing and coaching team members.
- Retain key talent in group/Pfizer and in collaboration and develop team members.
- Develops and maintains a high functioning and performance culture for team.
- Develops and maintains working relationship with Human Resources to help manage colleagues and any performance issues.
- Manages performance appraisals, salary planning and promotions for FMD team.
- Ensures field medical directors generate and execute an individual development plan
Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.
- MD or DO required with a minimum of 10 years industry experience preferred
- Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Experience in specific therapeutic area, especially clinical / patient care experience, preferred
- Experience in Medical Affairs (preferably including design and implementation of Phase IV trials, Regulatory/safety experience a plus)
- Travel: approximately ~20%
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
- Last Date to Apply for Job: December 8, 2021
- Eligible for Relocation Package - NO
- Additional Location Information: Preferred location is NYHQ however eligible to work remotely in the U.S or from any site in the U.S
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.