Do you enjoy working on challenging projects that can span a wide range of remote sensing types and include end-to-end signature modeling, signal processing, algorithm development, and the analysis and interpretation of experimental data?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join the Remote Sensing & Analysis section of the Oceanic, Atmospheric and Remote Sensing Sciences Group at APL. You'll be joining a hardworking team of physicists and engineers who have critical roles in the implementation and application of physics-based models, systems analysis and modeling, analysis of remote sensing data, algorithm development and implementation, field test planning and execution, and completion of technology capability assessments in support of critical challenges for programs of national interest in the maritime domain. We have diverse technical backgrounds involved in all aspects of in-situ and remote sensing of oceanic and atmospheric phenomena and are passionate about applying our capabilities to answer current and future problems of national importance. Our team values technical and personal growth and we cultivate an environment of collaboration that focusses on solid technical work, delivering accurate results, and making impactful recommendations to our sponsors.As a Remote Sensing Scientist in our group, your assignments will be tailored to your capabilities and interests, and will also become more challenging based on your technical growth and accomplishments.
QualificationsYou meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Your primary responsibilities will be to analyze data, evaluate current and potential performance of remote sensing systems, and compare results with previous findings and model predictions with the goal of developing a physical understanding of the phenomenology.
- You will implement, refine, and use physics-based models to quantify expected technology performance bounds.
- You will develop and apply algorithms to exploit remote sensing data.
- You will be expected to communicate results effectively, in both written and oral form, to sponsors, peer organizations, and applicable R&D communities.
- You will plan and participate in field tests.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Possess a PhD in physics, electrical engineering, applied mathematics or related field or, alternatively, an M.S. in a related technical discipline coupled with at least 4 years of relevant work experience and proven research capabilities.
- Have knowledge of and experience in remote sensing, signal processing, and data analysis.
- Are skilled in computer programming skills applicable to scientific analysis (e.g., MATLAB, PYTHON, FORTRAN).
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a TS/SCI+poly security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
Why work at APL?
- Have experience with radar and/or EO remote sensing systems.
- Have experience with NTM systems and associated infrastructure.
- Hold an active Top Secret or higher level clearance.
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.