A Non-Profit Professional Society Promoting Research, Education, and Awareness of Weeds in Managed and Natural Ecosystems
» Jobs » Professor and Head, Department of Agronomy in the College of Agriculture with Kansas State University - Manhattan, Kansas Professor and Head, Department of Agronomy in the College of Agriculture with Kansas State University - Manhattan, Kansas
Posted on October 8, 2019
Type of position Professor and Department Head of Agronomy
Employer Kansas State University - College of Agriculture
Description of Employer Kansas State University invites nominations and applications for the position of Professor and Head, Department of Agronomy in the College of Agriculture. The department seeks an energetic, visionary, and creative individual who will lead the faculty, staff, and students in their research, teaching, extension, and service emissions.
The Department of Agronomy in the College of Agriculture has internationally recognized faculty with diverse backgrounds in teaching, research, extension, and service programs in core areas of crop, soil, range, and weed science. The department currently has about 37 faculty, 10 Assistant/Associate Agronomists, and 74 University Support Staff and Unclassified Support Staff. The majority of the faculty and staff are located on the main campus in Manhattan, but several faculty are located at Research or Research and Extension Centers around the state. The department offers undergraduate and graduate programs leading to B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees with current enrollment of about 124 undergraduate majors, 40 minors, and 80 graduate students. The department has state-of-the art laboratory, greenhouse, and field research facilities to support all assigned responsibilities. (https://www.agronomy.k-state.edu/)
The Agronomy Department has a strong reputation for research and external funding, having secured nearly $10M in the current year. The department regularly ranks among the top five units in the university. The faculty are active internationally and either host or participates in three of the four USAID Feed the Future Innovation Labs, located at K-State (https://www.ag.k-state.edu/international/usaid/index.html).
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the Principles of Community.
Location Manhattan, Kansas
Salary Commensurate with qualifications
Closing date of competition Screening of applications will begin on December 2, 2019 and will continue until the position has been filled.
Description of duties The Department Head provides leadership and administrative actions to:
- Foster excellence in research, extension, teaching and domestic and international service
- Promote quality instruction in undergraduate and graduate programs
- Actively involve faculty in the decision-making process, using appointed and elected committees when appropriate
- Provide leadership in planning and supervising programs relevant to the department's mission within the lad grant university system, manage departmental budgetary and financial matters, and assist in generating extramural support for departmental activities
- Evaluate, counsel, and promote professional development of faculty, staff and students
- Recruit and retain productive faculty, staff and students
- Communicate effectively with faculty, staff, students, university administrators, and stakeholders
- Represent and promote the department to the college, university, state, agricultural commodity groups, other clientele, and funding agencies
- Create an environmental that fosters diversity, collegiality, teamwork and ability to work in a multicultural setting
- Continue his/her own professional development in administration and/or research, teaching, or extension
- Collaborate with the College and Foundation in fund raising, as needed
Qualifications sought Required:
- Earned doctorate in agronomy, crop, soil, range, or weed science, or related discipline
- Credentials for appointment as a tenured, full professor
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, including administrative, personnel management, budgeting, communication skills, grantsmanship, and the ability to represent the department to scientific and agricultural groups
- Commitment to excellence in teaching, research, extension, and service
- Experience in assessing priorities and adapting to change with creativity and innovation
- Commitment to expanding diversity in the department and college community
- Experience in teaching, research, extension and international programs in a land grant university
- Outstanding professional record of achievement
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
Contact for additional information Inquiries about the position should be directed to Dr. Martin Draper, Chair, Department of Agronomy Professor and Head at 785-532-6147.
1. Letter of interest that addresses the applicant's vision, administrative philosophy, and qualification
2. Curriculum Vitae
3. Names and mailing addresses, telephone numbers, and email address of at least three (3) professional references
Additional Information Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Minority and women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. We also encourage nominations of outstanding potential candidates.
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.