Vice President Core Research & Technology
Research - Bothell, WashingtonSummary
Seagen is seeking a Vice President of Core Research and Technology. In this newly created role, this position will have the responsibility for developing and providing a cohesive vision for the scientific implementation of Research goals through shared resources. The Core Research and Technology group includes the protein expression/purification, antibody drug conjugate conjugation chemistry, antibody discovery technologies, drug target validation (IHC/proteomics/computational biology), in vitro screening technologies and in vivo pharmacology groups. This is a key leadership role that will increase capacity and efficiencies in the Research organization's capacity to generate first and best in class clinical candidates for the treatment of cancer. This person will be responsible for leading and building a state-of-the-art team of professionals joined through scientific rigor and a commitment to quality. At Seagen we value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and this key leader will have the accountability for building a highly effectively team that delivers on results while maintaining a positive and collaborative culture.
- Lead growth and development of the Core Research and Technology Department, including implementation of new core services, and management of Core team personnel, including outsourcing team
- Partner with Research Leadership Team (RLT) to drive prioritization and adequate resourcing of core groups
- Allocate appropriate resourcing of Core functions to accomplish required workflows to progress projects through decision points
- Accountability for timely delivery of requested materials and data from all core departments, manage core leadership to ensure efficient service workflow
- Ensure seamless transfer of knowledge and processes from research to process sciences and translational sciences
- Encourage innovation in the core functions with delivery of at least three new technologies or efficiencies each year
- Work closely with Late-stage and Discovery Research groups to balance priorities between clinical-stage programs and pre-development programs
- Further the advancement of core capabilities and innovation related to scientific implementation
- Hire, develop, coach, and manage performance of a team of scientific and technical staff, including director and senior director level leaders
- Promotes a culture of professionalism and collaboration focused on the patient outcomes in alignment with company goals and values
- Ph.D. in Life Sciences with minimum of 15 years of relevant work experience and at least 10 years of leadership experience leading diverse teams of research professionals through the discovery process while driving strategic innovation
- 7+ years leading and directly managing teams. Ability to give feedback, coach, mentor, and develop employees
- Track record of significant and innovative biological discoveries in academic, biotech, or Pharma settings
- Deep knowledge and broad expertise within the core group's functions and underlying scientific technologies
- Well informed on all areas of drug development from target validation through pre-clinical research
- Experience building and leading high-functioning scientific teams, with the ability to give feedback, coach, and mentor
- Strong business acumen in drug discovery and development and experience in prioritization based on company goals and strategy
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, ability to absorb information and succinctly relay critical information to relevant stakeholders
- Ability to collaborate across teams and variety of disciplines
- Prior experience of scaling and process improvement in a high-throughput production environment, experience in lean six sigma a plus
As the leading employer in our industry in the Pacific Northwest, Seagen is proud to offer a competitive total compensation package as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the whole lives of our employees and their families. Benefits include medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more. To learn more about Seagen, please visit www.seagen.com.
Seagen is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
NewYorkLifeScience.com, owned and published by Info.Resource, Inc. , is a resource
for the life science industry in the state of New York.