Requisition Id 4977 Overview: The Centrifuge Engineering and Fabrication Section within the Enrichment Science and Engineering Division (ESED) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory is seeking a Senior Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Application Modeler for the Modeling and Data Science Group. The Senior CFD Modeler will perform analysis on the gas flow dynamics of gas centrifuges, providing performance predictions for the various isotope enrichment projects at the lab. In addition, the Senior CFD Modeler will have collaboration with the experimental facilities and will provide feedback based upon sound computational results. Purpose: The ESED serves the nation in two critical areas: advancing enrichment technologies and exploring stable isotope production and applications. The division leverages an elite staff of scientists and engineers with the world-leading capabilities of Oak Ridge National Laboratory to deliver groundbreaking advancements with a variety of applications, from national security to life-saving medical treatments. The Modeling and Data Science Group's applies first principles and empirical approaches to advance the physics and engineering understanding of gas centrifuges using computational tools such as computational fluid dynamics (CFD), finite element analysis (FEA), and data analysis. The successful Senior CFD Modeler candidate will provide research and development (R&D) leadership to the group in the area of computation fluid dynamics of gas centrifuges for processing uranium-bearing and stable isotope compounds.
Major Duties/Responsibilities: * Establish and conduct research within the field of computational fluid dynamics as it relates to gas centrifuge and enrichment technologies.
* Serve as a thought leader in the area of CFD for the group, section, and directorate.
* Serve as a mentor for junior technical staff.
* Interact with sponsors to define, execute, and report on relevant project elements.
* Actively collaborate with domain experts from U.S. government laboratories and academia involved in similar efforts.
* Publish high quality research results in peer-reviewed open or classified journals and conferences, if authorized by the sponsoring agency.
* Publish and present non-sensitive research in journals and conferences.
* Develop proposals for cutting edge research and funding. Basic Qualifications: * Ph.D. degree in Mechanical Engineering, physics, or related field and six years of post-graduate experience.
* Applied experience in the areas of heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and fluid-structure interaction analysis. Preferred Qualifications: * Strong computational skills with modeling and simulation experience using High Performance Computing environments.
* A record of significant technical publications.
* Applied experience in the areas of heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and fluid-structure interaction analysis.
* Experience with modeling of heat transfer processes and equipment such as heat exchangers and compressors.
* A proven record of application development for performing heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and fluid-structure interaction analysis.
* Excellent communication (spoken and written), strategic planning, organization, and decision-making skills.
* Demonstrated prior leadership experience. Special Requirements: * This position requires access to technology that is subject to export control requirements and to sensitive projects. Successful candidates must be qualified for such access without an export control license.
* It is required of this position the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse program (WSAP) testing designed position which requires passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program in which employees are subject to being randomly selected for testing. The occupant of this position will also be subject to an ongoing requirement to report to ORNL any drug-related arrest or conviction or receipt of a positive drug test result.
ORNL Ethics and Conduct: As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNLs Research Code of Conduct. Our full code of conduct, and a statement by the Lab Directors office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity Benefits at ORNL: UT-Battelle offers a quality benefits package, including a matching 401(k), contributory pension plan, paid vacation, and medical/dental plan options. Onsite amenities include a credit union, medical clinic, cafeteria, coffee stands, and fitness facilities. Relocation: UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details. For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the "About" tab at jobs.ornl.gov. This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired. We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment. If you have trouble applying for a position, please email . ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.