A Non-Profit Professional Society Promoting Research, Education, and Awareness of Weeds in Managed and Natural Ecosystems
» Jobs » Assistant Professor - Precision Agriculture with Kansas State University, Department of Agronomy in Manhattan, KS Assistant Professor - Precision Agriculture with Kansas State University, Department of Agronomy in Manhattan, KS
Posted on November 14, 2018
Type of position 12-month, tenure-track faculty position with 60% research and 40% teaching appointment. Individuals sought with expertise in any area of precision agriculture
Employer Kansas State University, Department of Agronomy
Location Manhattan, KS
Salary commensurate with background and experience
The Agronomy Department at Kansas State University is looking for an Assistant Professor in Precision Agriculture to develop a strong research and teaching program in precision agriculture. This individual will be expected to participate in an interdisciplinary team. Areas of emphases could include site-specific management of crop production inputs, remote and proximal sensing technology, relevant data analytics, GIS applications, geospatial statistics, and the use of small unmanned aerial vehicles in crop production. Opportunity to collaborate with colleagues in Agronomy, Biological and Agricultural Engineering, Agricultural Economics, Biology, Animal Science and Industry, Entomology, Plant Pathology, Computer Science, and K-State Polytechnic on crop and forage production, plant breeding, range management, weed science, and soil and water management. Development of a strong, externally-funded applied research program, including the training of graduate students and peer-reviewed publication of research results, is expected. Teaching responsibilities will include AGRON 202 (Intro to Precision Ag Software), AGRON 655 (Site-Specific Agriculture), development of a graduate-level course, and undergraduate advising including participation in student extracurricular activities and relevant academic committees. The candidate must be able to work in a multicultural setting and create an environment that fosters collegiality, diversity, and teamwork.
Qualifications sought Minimum Requirements:
- Ph.D. in agronomy, soil science, crop science, or related field, with a strong background in one or more aspects of precision agriculture.
- Record of innovative research, with strong potential for publication in peer-reviewed journals.
- Evidence of excellent skills to communicate in English, orally and in writing.
- Strong commitment to expanding and fostering diversity in the department.
- Experience in leading or working as part of an interdisciplinary research team.
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals commensurate with current career level.
- Strong potential for instructional excellence and effectiveness in teaching, with teaching experience at the college level.
- Demonstrated ability to inspire and provide leadership development for undergraduates and demonstrated scholarship of teaching and learning.
- Experience in field research with agronomic crops and Great Plains crop production systems.
- Demonstrated experience in grant writing and obtaining extramural funding.
- Demonstrated skills to effectively use electronic media to communicate technical agronomic information.
Letter of application, articulating experience or training relative to the qualifications for the position.
A statement of interest and vision regarding research (maximum of 2 pages).
A 1-page statement of teaching philosophy.
Undergraduate and graduate transcripts.
In addition, the candidate should arrange for three letters of reference to be sent directly to Brittany Green at email@example.com.
Additional Information Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks individuals whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's dedication to the Principles of Community.
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.