Requisition Id 5667 Overview The Multiphysics Modeling and Flows group is seeking computational scientists to aide in the integrated modeling of gas centrifuges and other enrichment technology. The successful candidate will work with subject matter experts to develop and validate compressible gas dynamics modeling capability and analyze other aspects of enrichment technologies such as high vacuum equipment and plasma physics. Major Duties/Responsibilities: * Interact with subject matter experts to develop software tools for enrichment modeling, as well as coupling and automating these individual physics models into an integrated modeling capability.
* Interact with sponsors to define, execute, and report on relevant project elements.
* Present non-sensitive research in professional journals and conferences.
* Develop proposals and work statements for funding, with ability to manage work scope and deliverables to sponsors Basic Qualifications: * PhD in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, chemical engineering or related field * R&D experience in the application of multiphysics modeling tools to integrated systems
* Demonstrated experience with usage and/or code development in a variety of programming langagues (FORTRAN, Python, C++, MatLab, Julia) and their application to scientific computing (e.g. automation, pre/post processing, data analysis, file I/O, parallel computing)
* Strong oral and written communication skills, ability to work in a team environment Preferred Qualifications: * 4+ years of relevant professional R&D experience outside of Ph.D.
* Experience with one or more of the following areas: compressible fluid flow, fluid structure interaction, convective heat transfer, plasma physics.
* Demonstrated experience with the verification and/or validation of complex computational models and simulation results
* Experience working in a modern code development project.
* An active DOE Q clearance Special Requirements: * This position requires access to technology that is subject to export control requirements and to sensitive projects. Successful candidates must be qualified for such access without an export control license.
* It is required of this position the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse program (WSAP) testing designed position which requires passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program in which employees are subject to being randomly selected for testing. The occupant of this position will also be subject to an ongoing requirement to report to ORNL any drug-related arrest or conviction or receipt of a positive drug test result. Relocation: Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details. For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the "About" tab at jobs.ornl.gov. This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired. We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment. If you have trouble applying for a position, please email . ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.