*Employment History *Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
The CRoPS project aims to develop crop plants that sequester more carbon via extensive root systems containing recalcitrant carbon polymers to fight climate change. A major component of this research is to conduct genetic and genomic analysis for understanding traits relevant for this project.
The Research Assistant I will work closely with and receive work direction from a Research Assistant III, and work other members of the CRoPS project and the Busch laboratory to conduct screen root traits to identify genetic mechanisms that lead to optimal root systems for carbon sequestration. Responsibilities include: plant maintenance and manipulation, image acquisition, trait measurement, optimizing protocols for plant growth and plant measurements, data analysis, genotyping, plant selection, and troubleshooting.
* **(100%) Research and Lab Support*
* Conducts molecular cloning and generates transgenic Arabidopsis plants.
* Phenotypes plants and evaluates plant root traits.
* Performs DNA and RNA extractions; genotyping and gene expression analysis.
* Performs plant tissue dissection.
* Assists with maintaining lab stocks.
* No professional level experience required
* Previous experience which may be gained in coursework to include handling Arabidopsis, PCR, DNA manipulations, electrophoresis, and bacteria transformation
* Bachelor's degree in biological sciences or related field, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
*SKILLS AND ABILITIES*
* Theoretical and hands on knowledge of related biology techniques.
* Ability to manage and track samples meticulously without mix-ups or cross- contamination.
* Ability to learn and carry out new experimental procedures with accuracy and efficiency. Demonstrated ability to follow verbal and/or written protocols, including follow-up on previously begun procedures.
* Understanding of and ability to operate basic lab equipment.
* Ability to perform routine and repetitive to moderately complex functions.
* Ability to communicate required information and keep accurate records of work performed.
* Demonstrated knowledge and experience with standard office equipment and commonly used software and tools, such as Microsoft Office and Google docs
* Proven ability to work both independently and also as part of a collaborative team.
* Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
* Strong interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility.
* Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse groups.
* Demonstrated skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with personnel at all levels.
* Experience in plant research
* Advanced computer skills
* Experience with microscopy
*SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT*
* Must be willing to work an adjusted schedule to support research needs.
* Successful completion of the Institute's background investigation.
* Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
* Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
* This position is anticipated to be based at the Institute's main campus, but may be required to travel to or work from other local campuses as required.
*PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS*
This position requires constant handling, seeing, and sitting.