College of Education
DEPARTMENT OF CURRICULUM & INSTRUCTION
LITERACY & LANGUAGE EDUCATION (ELL EMPHASIS)
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Assistant Professor in Literacy and Language Education - English Language Learner (ELL) Emphasis
The Department of Curriculum and Instruction at Purdue University seeks an assistant professor of literacy and language education with an emphasis on English language learners (ELL). This is a 9-month, tenure-track position. Responsibilities include:
* Teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in K-12 English language learning and dual language bilingual education
* Teaching in face-to-face, online, and hybrid formats
* Developing and supervising field experiences
* Recruiting, advising and mentoring undergraduate and graduate students
* Developing a strong area of research and scholarship that informs theory and effective practice in teaching ELLs and other emergent bilingual students
* Seeking external funding in support of ELL and bilingual scholarship and teacher training.
* Collaborating on learning, discovery, and engagement activities within the College of Education, across the university, and within K-12 schools
* Committing to addressing the structural inequalities imposed upon ELLs and emergent bilingual students and families
* Earned doctorate in Literacy and Language Education; Culture, Literacy, and Language; Applied Linguistics/TESOL; Educational Linguistics; Second Language Acquisition; Bilingual Education; or other relevant disciplines
* Demonstrated scholarship in ELL and/or bilingual education
* U.S. K-12 teaching with ELLs or related experience
* Experience in teaching undergraduate courses in ELL and/or bilingual education foundations and methods
* Experience in teaching online courses
* Experience teaching ELL and other emergent bilingual students in K-12 U.S. schools in bilingual, ESL, and/or sheltered instruction classrooms
* Proficiency in Spanish
* Experience in advising graduate students
* Experience in obtaining external funding
August 15, 2022
Review of applications will begin on October 15, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled. Applications must include: (1) letter of application, (2) a current curriculum vitae, (3) two to three writing samples, such as published articles or book chapters, (4) a statement of teaching philosophy, (5) a statement of research interests, (6) a diversity statement, and (7) a list of three individual references with contact information. Candidates may also include evidence of teaching excellence if available.
If you are external to Purdue apply here. [LINK]
If you are internal, please apply here: [LINK]
Inquiries about the position may be directed to:
Dr. Wayne E. Wright () & Dr. Virak Chan (), Search Committee Co-Chairs
Literacy and Language Education Search
Department of Curriculum and Instruction
100 N. University St.
West Lafayette, IN 47
English Language Learning Program
THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNING (ELL) PROGRAM IS A KEY PART OF THE LITERACY AND LANGUAGE (L&L) PROGRAM at Purdue. The ELL program offers licensure options at the undergraduate level for pre-service teachers and at the graduate level for in-service teachers, and offers graduate certificates in Teaching English Language Learners and in Dual Language Bilingual Education. Program faculty also teach and advise Language and Literacy masters and PhD students. These programs offer prospective researchers/scholars and K-12 teachers the opportunity to investigate contemporary issues in research and theory as well as pedagogical methods related to literacy and language teaching, learning, assessment, and curriculum. The L&L faculty have established national and international reputations as scholars, obtaining competitive funding to support teacher licensure and research. We seek a tenure-track assistant professor to primarily focus on teaching in and further developing our teacher education innovation initiative (I2), which includes a newly developed dual licensure program leading to a generalist teaching credential and an ELL teaching license.
PURDUE UNIVERSITY is a leading land grant and research university and ranks among the 15 largest universities in the nation. The university has an enrollment of more than 38,000 on the West Lafayette campus and more than 14,000 on regional campuses in Indiana. It is located in West Lafayette, IN, one hour northwest of Indianapolis and two hours southeast of Chicago.
Purdue University's College of Education is committed to advancing diversity in all areas of faculty effort, including discovery, instruction, and engagement. Candidates should address at least one of these areas in their Diversity Statement indicating their past experiences, current interests or activities, and/or future goals to promote a climate that values diversity, equity, and inclusion.
A background check will be required for employment in this position.
Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.