Are you motivated by conceiving creative solutions to tough problems?
Are you searching for a role that leads to significant real-world impacts by applying your strengths in chemistry?
Are you passionate about collaborating with outstanding scientists and engineers to develop your own skills while contributing to critical challenges?
If so, we are looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking an organic chemist to help develop solutions to the diverse problems that we take on through chemical synthesis and characterization. You will apply your strong background in chemistry to develop solutions for the government's challenging problems. We need an ambitious and dedicated colleague who is excited to take a leadership role and contribute to hands-on research. You will have the opportunity to work across a wide-range of research domains including synthetic chemistry, polymer science, materials science, biochemistry, and more. In our group, your research will span disciplines, from synthesis of stimuli-responsive polymers to inorganic coatings for thermal management; from novel wearable sensor technology to energy harvesting and storage. We enable our team members to generate their own research ideas and publish their findings.
At APL, we are a hardworking, multidisciplinary team that is committed to solving diverse problems while embracing risk with the goal of realizing creative solutions. Our team is passionate about building advanced prototypes that will define the future of materials. We strive to foster a collaborative environment with world-class expertise that achieves game-changing impact. Our APL team values integrity and innovative ideas that will ensure our nation's preeminence in the 21st century.As a chemist on our team...
- Your primary responsibility will be to perform experiments at the direction of a project manager and assist with the development of new materials via chemical synthesis, material characterization, and performance testing, both in the lab and in the field.
- You will perform detailed data analyses and explain characterization results.
- You will document and present technical work internally and externally.
- You will get the chance to work on projects both independently and as part of a team.
QualificationsYou meet our minimum qualifications for the job if...
- You will publish your research and present at conferences.
- You possess a M.S. in organic chemistry, biochemistry, or a related discipline.
- You have 3+ years of research experience.
- You have demonstrable research experience in a laboratory environment.
- You have published research results in peer-reviewed journals.
- You are experienced in chemical synthesis, analytical chemistry, and experimental design.
- You are familiar with nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, gas chromatography, liquid chromatography, and/or mass spectrometry.
- You have experience working as member of a diverse team in a collaborative manner.
- You are comfortable communicating research findings in various settings.
- You are willing and able to carry out laboratory research and travel for field testing, sponsor visits, conference attendance, and presentations.
- The ability to obtain a Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if...
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
- You have Ph.D. in organic chemistry, biochemistry, or a related discipline.
- You have 2+ years of research experience.
Why Work at APL?
- You are proficient in air-free chemical synthesis, asymmetric catalysis, electrochemistry, and/or polymer synthesis and characterization.
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.Category
3 to 20+ yearsJob type