The University of Utah, College of Social Work invites applications for a 0.83 FTE 10-month Career-line faculty position (August 16th to June 15th) at the rank of Assistant Professor (Clinical) to teach and facilitate integration of BSW/MSW social work curriculum in field and to develop and maintain quality practicum placements.
This is a non-tenure track position intended to be a long-term position within the University's Career-Line Faculty structure, with a renewable contract (a shortened contract will be implemented for the initial year due to the Jan 1st start date).Qualifications:
Applicants must have an MSW degree from a CSWE-accredited program and at least three years of professional social work experience. Strong Candidates will have:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to
- Extensive knowledge of local social service agencies, systems and social work roles
- Extensive experience at a range of social service agencies
- Excellent communication, problem solving & organizational skills
- Experience working well independently & collaboratively
- Experience as a field instructor or providing social work supervision to interns
- Social work teaching experience
- Ability to engage diversity-related content within field practicum
- Work with approximately 60 students to develop individualized practicum plans and participate in the placement process of those students.
- Advise and consult with approximately 60 students and their field instructors on a regular basis to assist them in maximizing their field education experience.
- Schedule and meet with each student and their field instructor at the practicum agency and through teleconference to build relationships, assess and address student and agency needs, bridge curriculum and field and support the student and instructor in field education and professional development.
- Manage crises and problem solve when needed by collaborating with students, field instructors, other faculty and administration.
- Documentation & evaluation of student progress in practicum
- Some travel may be required
- Responsible for teaching up to 60 students in MSW and or BSW practicum seminars. This may include a weekly in-person seminar (BSW) or one webinar per semester (MSW), as well as grading and providing feedback on practicum-related assignments issuing course grades and maintaining , updating and organizing associated Canvas course(s).
Other Faculty Duties:
- Participate on other committees at the CSW and the University of Utah in order to contribute to developing and implementing policies and programs.
- Participate in activities that promote field education, social work and the relationship of the College of Social Work with local, national, and/or international institutions.
- Contribute to the development and/or application of social work knowledge through research and conference presentation and attendance as appropriate.
Other Practicum Duties:
College, University, and Environment:
- Provide coordination and oversight for students who want to do optional placements.
- Plan and participate in placement meetings.
- Develop & conduct practicum fairs, field education workshops, new field instructor trainings and other seminars to orient and train students and field instructors on topics related to field education.
- Participate and collaborate with Practicum Team.
- Review new practicum agency and field instructors' applications
- Develop and cultivate effective practicum partnerships with agencies and field instructors.
The University of Utah has been classified by the Carnegie Foundation among the 115 research universities with the "highest research activity" in the nation and is the flagship of the Utah System of Higher Education. The University is located in Salt Lake City at the foot of the Wasatch Mountains. This location offers unparalleled opportunities for outdoor recreation, with ten world-class ski resorts and five national parks within hours of the city. Salt Lake City is the center of a metropolitan area with a population of approximately one million residents, has extensive arts and cultural activities, and has a major international airport with a Delta Airlines hub and direct flights to most U.S. cities and direct international flights to Paris, London, Amsterdam, and Mexico City. The area has received international recognition for its new light rail system, foodie culture, downtown renewal, and increasing diversity. In 2017, U.S News and World report ranked Salt Lake City as the 10th best place to live in the nation. Utah is home to 8 federally recognized Native American Tribes, and the University has articulated its statement of Indigenous Land Acknowledgement (https://attheu.utah.edu/facultystaff/indigenous-land-acknowledgement/).
The College of Social Work (CSW), established in 1937, is the only institution in the Intermountain West that offers all three degrees in social work: BSW, MSW, and PhD. The CSW houses a number of research entities providing faculty and students research opportunities and support for locating and managing external funding including: the Social Research Institute; the Center on Mindfulness and Integrative Health Intervention Development; the Utah Criminal Justice Center; the Center for Research on Migration & Refugee Integration; and the Goodwill Initiative on Aging. Currently, CSW faculty are conducting a number of federally funded, state-funded, and foundation-funded translational social research projects to advance social work research and innovate evidence-based practices for vulnerable populations in need. The College's Goodwill Humanitarian Building features state-of-the-art clinical training suites equipped with one-way mirrors and audio-visual technology for real-time clinical supervision and feedback, as well as a sophisticated psychophysiology lab for cutting-edge social work neuroscience.
The Department is committed to removing barriers that have been traditionally encountered by individuals from underrepresented groups; strives to recruit faculty who will further enhance our diversity; and makes every attempt to support their academic, professional, and personal success while they are here. The University of Utah recognizes that a diverse faculty benefits and enriches the educational experiences of the entire campus and greater community. This institution offers benefits to same-sex and to different sex domestic partners. This institution offers benefits to spouses.