Requisition Id 6715 Overview: Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security. We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Environmental Risk and Energy Analysis Group in the Environmental Sciences Division (ESD), Biological and Environmental Systems Science Directorate (BESS) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). ESD is an interdisciplinary research and development organization with more than 60 years of achievements in local, national, and international environmental research. Our vision is to expand scientific knowledge and develop innovative strategies and technologies to help sustain the Earth's natural resources. The selected candidate will work with a multi-disciplinary group of experts in economics, engineering, computer sciences and physical sciences on the economics and policy aspects of decarbonization options, such as renewable energy production and carbon sequestration. The candidate should be an independent thinker and able to participate creatively in defining and refining research directions. Major Duties/Responsibilities: * The successful candidate will interact with a team of scientists and engineers at ORNL in a variety of energy economics analysis projects involving assessments of technological and policy options to estimate important metrics, such as costs, benefits, equity impacts and carbon reduction potentials
* Data collection, cleaning and quality assurance
* Implementation and simulation of economic models
* Contributions to reports, presentations and peer-reviewed journal articles. * The successful candidate will have the opportunity to assist ORNL scientists involved in these efforts, to gain expertise in the economic analysis of energy-environmental issues, and to assist and eventually lead in the preparation of open literature publications in these areas Basic Qualifications: * A PhD in Energy, Environmental, Natural Resource Economics or a related Applied Economics field completed within the last 5 years
* Experience with implementing and applying quantitative equilibrium and/or econometric models using modeling software such as GAMS.
* Proficiency with MS Office and have strong R and/or Python programming skills Preferred Qualifications: * Experience with computable general equilibrium or other equilibrium/optimization models
* Experience with multiple programming languages and parallel computing
* Author or co-author of peer-reviewed literature publications
* Excellent written and oral communication skills * Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory * Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to with the position title and number referenced in the subject line. Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile: * Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
* View Profile
* Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding. Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details. For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the "About" tab at jobs.ornl.gov. This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired. We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment. If you have trouble applying for a position, please email . ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.