Assistant Professor in the Integral Program of Liberal Arts, full-time tenure-trackLocation:
Moraga, CAOpen Date:
Jul 11, 2021Deadline:
Dec 01, 2021 at 11:59 PM Eastern TimeDescription:
The Integral curriculum is based on a tradition of liberal arts. Students read primary texts from the traditions that have shaped our thought, asking their own questions and working out their own thoughts in a supportive environment. Faculty mentor, question, coach, challenge, and encourage students' wonder. A cohort model of community fosters learning and friendships. Lasallian core principles are reflected in our curriculum and honored in our community. The Integral tutors (faculty) seek to welcome a new tenure-track colleague to join the program. Responsibilities:
- The Integral Program is composed of Tutorials [Mathematics, Language, Music, and Laboratory] and Seminars. Faculty are expected to develop over time the ability to teach across the curriculum. Hence, the six-course annual teaching load may come from any of the Program's 29 required courses.
- Faculty are expected to participate regularly in two core liberal arts programs of Saint Mary's College, the Collegiate Seminar Program and the January Term, and to serve the College on committees.
- Tutors, as the faculty are called, are expected to participate regularly in Program-wide activities, including lectures, socials, and field trips. They are also expected to serve on Integral Program committees, and advise students.
- The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to the mission of the College, which is informed, animated, and expressed through its Catholic, Lasallian, and Liberal Arts traditions.
Saint Mary's College of California is a private, Catholic, comprehensive and co-educational university that engages students in rigorous critical thinking, promotes social justice, and educates for human fulfillment consistent with its liberal arts, Catholic and Lasallian traditions. The de La Salle Christian Brothers, the largest teaching order of the Roman Catholic Church, guide the spiritual and academic character of the College. An outstanding, committed faculty and staff who value shared inquiry, integrative learning and student interaction bring Saint Mary's heritage to life. Located on a stunning 420-acre campus in the Moraga Hills outside of San Francisco, Saint Mary's is known for its rigorous liberal arts education and its high quality graduate programs, including business, education, counseling, leadership, and the arts. Saint Mary's has a diverse student body of approximately 4,000 students, and the College's practices and policies reflect a commitment to inclusive excellence and a community in which all are valued, respected and supported.
For more information about Saint Mary's mission and history, see: (please use the apply button below).Qualifications:
To apply, visit (please use the apply button below)
- Candidates should have a strong background in the tutorial/seminar method of shared inquiry as developed in the Great Books movement, and should have experience teaching the texts in our laboratories and music tutorial; familiarity with Attic Greek is desirable not only in virtue of tutorials that require that language, but in order to help students integrate their learning across courses.
- Expectation of Ph.D. by June 30, 2022.
- Candidates must have a commitment to academic scholarship and professional activity at the national level, and must show evidence of a scholarly research trajectory.
- We invite and encourage applications from qualified candidates from any scholarly discipline.