The Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard seeks a dynamic and strategic individual to lead efforts to broaden our science to better include underserved communities. Building on Broad's mission to narrow the gap between biological insight and clinical impact, the Associate Director of Scientific Equity will work closely with the Chief Equity Officer and lead efforts to develop, identify and implement strategies to make our science equitable and our scientific workforce representative and focused on reducing existing health disparities that disproportionately affect Black, LatinX, indigenous and other communities of color.
Reporting to the Chief Equity Officer, the Associate Director, Scientific Equity will set a course for short and long-term change at the Broad - stratified across internal goals and priorities as well as external-facing opportunities to impact the biomedical research community at large.
IDEA (INCLUSION, DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION) AT THE BROAD
In Summer of 2020, President and Director of the Broad, Eric Lander, made an institutional commitment to be an anti-racist organization. In recognition of the importance of this work and its centrality to Broad's mission, and in order to drive meaningful change, Broad established the new office of Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Allyship (IDEA). This office will work closely with existing units and will amplify Broad's ongoing efforts.
The long-standing work at Broad has been crystallized by a commitment to three overarching IDEA Pillars: Pillar1:
Creating a Fully Inclusive Internal Culture and Community
The Broad recognizes that internal culture is a crucial aspect of an inclusive organization, and is therefore committed to identifying and mitigating bias, expanding mechanisms to gather feedback and measure inclusion for all Broadies, and creating new recruiting processes and career development programs, with a particular focus on Black and Latinx Broadies.Pillar2:
Expanding and Accelerating the Diversity of Future Scientists
The Broad will work towards its longstanding commitment and ongoing efforts to increase diversity in science at all levels - from undergraduates and post-baccalaureate students to postdoctoral trainees and faculty members.Pillar3:
Broadening Our Science to Fully Include Under-served Communities
The Broad's scientific enterprise is robust, transcendent, and impactful, providing the Broad the opportunity to increase representation from Black, Latinx and other underrepresented communities - particularly as it pertains to bolstering the diversity of datasets and addressing gaps in health care.PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work directly with the Chief Equity Officer, Broad leadership and internal / external stakeholders including scientific leaders using a collaborative and consensus building approach to develop and implement a strategic plan to prioritize equity as a central component in our scientific work;
- Work directly with the Chief Equity Officer to establish a Science Advisory Board;
- Work closely with Pillar 1 Lead (inclusive culture and community) and Pillar 3 Lead (enhancing diversity of the scientific workforce) to increase transparency, collaboration and consistency in Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Allyship (IDEA) efforts/programs;
- Drive the development of pilot programs to increase equity in our scientific inquiry and lead efforts scale up programs when appropriate;
- Represent the IDEA team internally and externally, including through presentations, training and other speaking opportunities;
- Prepare written summaries, annual reports, summarizing IDEA efforts/progress
- BS with 8+ years of working in a complex scientific ecosystem (i.e. lab, department or unit);
- Demonstrated commitment to creating a more diverse and inclusive scientific community;
- Demonstrated experience in planning and executing projects to successfully advance and imbed equity, diversity, and inclusion within an organization;
- Excellent consensus building skills; experience working cross-culturally utilizing interpersonal and diplomatic skills; an ability to listen, inspire, and influence others when articulating the benefits of equity, diversity, and inclusion;
- Experience working effectively with all constituencies across an institution; ability to achieve results through empowerment and partnership;
- Strong data gathering, data analysis, problem solving, and analytical skills; proven ability to work successfully with data collection methods;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Appreciation for and alignment with Broad's mission;
- A passion for science and innovation, including working closely with scientific and non-scientific stakeholders;
- Strong growth mindset -- excited to grow in role and responsibilities over time;
- Willingness to roll up sleeves (no job too big, no job too small) and collaborate cross functionally.
#LI-POSTAll Broad employees, regardless of work location, must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by Tuesday, October 12, 2021. Requests for exemption for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs will be considered.All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. EEO is The Law - click here for more informationEqual Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/DisabledCheck out this video for a look into our community!
Job InfoType: Full time
Location: Cambridge, MA