Job Req ID: 53657
Research Program Assistant
The Research Program Assistant will work with the Lead Research Nutritionists and other nutrition or research staff by assisting in serving and observing participants' food intake during in-person meals, preparing documentation for data collection, organizing participant visits, conducting study visits and assist in research kitchen if needed.
This position will support participant recruitment, retention and data collection for several research studies conducted at the ProHealth clinical research unit in Woodlawn. The primary study will be DASH4D, a clinical trial of a DASH-style diet in lowering blood pressure in persons with Type 2 Diabetes. The Research Program Assistant will work as part of a productive, collaborative research team. Our team has been dedicated to conducting high-quality research studies for over twenty five years.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
* Assist in reheating and serving research meals to research participants.
* Observe research participants during research meal consumption to ensure compliance.
* Assist research nutritionists in packing take-home meals for research participants.
* Collection of questionnaires/physical assessments from data collection visits and telephone assessments
* Data entry of participant information into study databases
* Procedures for data integrity, data security and confidentiality followed
* Establish and maintain working relationship with study participants, ProHealth staff, and investigators
* Conduct participant interviews based on study protocols
* Administer data collection tools, including questionnaires
* Assess blood pressure, height, weight, waist circumference, and other procedures as needed in studies
* Administer telephone assessments
* Contact participants by phone, as needed, to collect data and to schedule and confirm appointments Implement follow-up protocol for hard to reach participants and no-shows
* Participate in staff meetings for related project tasks.
* Assist project coordinator as necessary with study related tasks including preparing letters and documents, filing, emailing, mass mailings, reviewing charts, editing forms, maintaining databases, and conducting literature/web searches
* Participate in cross-training to cover other studies and provide support as necessary
Requires high school diploma/GED, and some related experience.
Additional education may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula:
* JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job. *
Availability during afternoon and early evening hours required for monitoring meal consumption. Availability on some Saturdays and evenings may also be required for participant visits, along with willingness to travel for data collection and visits off-site at locations, other than ProHealth.
Some college courses preferred, and will substitute for experience required.
Health related experience required and experience in a research setting preferred.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Must have initiative, excellent verbal communications skills, good organizational skills, a friendly manner and team work ethic. Proficiency in MS Word/Excel required. Initiative, ability to work independently.
Physical requirements for the job:
Sitting in a normal seated position for extended periods of time
May need to lift objects less than 20 pounds.
Communication skills using the spoken word.
Ability to see within normal parameters.
Ability to hear within normal ranges.
Ability to move about.
Classified Title: Research Program Assistant
Working Title: Research Program Assistant
Starting Salary Range: $15.00 - $16.93; Commensurate with Experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Mon-Fri., 8:30am-5:00pm, Up to 40 hrs/week
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 17-MD:JH Prohealth Gwynn Oak
Department name: 10002809-SOM DOM General Internal Medicine
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
JH Prohealth Gwynn Oak