We are seeking a highly talented and motivated Bioinformatics Scientist to join the Research Data Sciences team to support research projects from early target discovery to biomarker identification with a focus in inflammation and fibrosis. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment and impact high-level decision making on internal pipeline. He/she will take a lead role in interpreting and integrating large-scale datasets (scRNA-seq, bulk RNA-seq, GWAS etc.) and employing rigorous bioinformatics approaches to enable research objectives. The successful candidate will have the ability to formulate scientific questions into coherent analytical efforts and communicate analysis results and scientific findings to project teams and across different research functions.Essential Functions:
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Develop and implement quality assessment, analysis and data visualization for multi-omics datasets (e.g., single cell/nuclei sequencing, RNA-Seq, GWAS, TCR-Seq, etc.)
- Develop novel predictive models using computational techniques and machine learning for analysis of large -omics and high dimensional data from internal, publicly available, commercial, and real-world datasets to enable target identification/assessment, drug combinations, understanding of MOA, disease mechanisms, etc.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to analyze and interpret complex large datasets and communicate findings and recommend follow-up actions in multiple settings (including: 1:1, seminars, group, and project meetings)
- Actively identify new opportunities/questions that advanced computational methods can address and develop/evaluate solutions both independently and collaboratively
- Develop visualization and analytical tools to enable data analysis and exploration by the broader Gilead Research community
- Provide expertise and technical consultation for external collaborations/partnerships in academia and industry
- Hands-on experience analyzing, interpreting, and integrating large-scale, multi-omics biological datasets, such as genomics, transcriptomics, epigenetics, proteomics, high throughput screening, and/or molecular pathology, etc is required
- Experience in analysis of single-cell RNAseq data is required, and expertise in multi-omics data analysis within inflammation and immunology areas is preferred
- In-depth knowledge of bioinformatics algorithms, genomic and proteomic technologies and high-throughput experimental techniques, e.g. next generation sequencing technologies, single cell technologies, and their applications.
- Strong statistics knowledge, such as statistical power, univariate and/or multi-variate analysis, unsupervised and supervised analysis, regression analysis, survival analysis, and machine learning, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with research scientists and cross-functional teams, and to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced working environment.
- Excellent oral/written communication skills and ability to present to senior management team.
- Demonstrated the ability to synthesize scientific questions into a coherent research effort and communicate scientific findings across different functional teams
- A proactive and self-motivated individual with a strong work ethic and scientific rigor, ability to work in a dynamic environment and able to manage multiple objectives in parallel and adapt to changing priorities
For jobs in the United States:
- A Ph.D. in bioinformatics, genomics, computer science or related field with strong hands-on analytical experience of single cell sequencing data. Post-doctoral fellowship or industry experience is preferred.
- Proficient in statistical and scripting programming languages, such as R, Python, etc. is required
- Extensive experience with multi-omics data and large-scale biological datasets is required
- Strong publication record, especially in high-impact peer-reviewed journals
- Strong scientific background and in-depth understanding of genomic and proteomic technologies and high-throughput experimental techniques is required
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills that foster collaboration and teamwork
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws.