: Assistant Professor of Engineering and Physics (tenure-track)Reports to
: Director of the School of Science, Technology, Engineering, and MathematicsDepartment
: Engineering ProgramPosition Number
August 15, 2022
We seek energetic and enthusiastic individuals who love teaching and share our dedication to excellence in undergraduate education. The successful applicant will join a close-knit program and school that offers bachelor's degrees across a broad spectrum of disciplines in science and mathematics, including an innovative partnership with Colorado State University to offer a bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering on the Adams State University Campus. Responsibilities include teaching introductory physics and engineering courses, working with other faculty to continually maintain and update courses, advising students, and engaging with the broader university. While we are primarily an institution focused on teaching excellence and the teaching load for this position is comprised of 12 credit-hours each semester, faculty are also expected to remain connected to their academic field through scholarly or creative work, and faculty members are also required to contribute in the area of service.
The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively and collaborate with diverse faculty, staff, and students within the School of Science, Mathematics, and Technology, and across campus. Candidates should demonstrate that they possess (1) a commitment to student-centered instruction, (2) a plan for maintaining currency in engineering, and (3) a commitment to furthering the university's mission of Inclusive Excellence.
- Master's degree in mechanical engineering, or closely related field, with minimum 5 years relevant industry experience OR a Ph.D. in engineering or closely related field.
- Demonstrated commitment to undergraduate teaching and student-centered learning
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to valuing equity, treating cultural and linguistic diversity as assets, and promoting inclusiveness
- Ability to treat others with respect, civility, and courtesy and to work honestly, effectively,
and collegiality with employees, students, and the community. This includes the ability
to use appropriate conflict management skills to effectively manage any disagreement
that might arise or to bring the disagreement to management for assistance in
productive resolution when the situation requires.
- Adams State University is committed to the development of online courses and programs. The online division of the university is Adams State Online. The university has a comprehensive Academic Instructional Technology Center committed to the support of faculty teaching online. Support includes training in the process of teaching online, Instructional designers to support the development and designing of online courses and instructional tools to support video lectures, live classrooms and cloud-based storage for instructional training videos. The successful candidate for this position will be committed to the willingness to develop and teach online courses.
Preference will be given to applicants who possess/demonstrate
- Appropriate academic credentials with substantial and relevant industry experience
- Experience teaching at the undergraduate level
- Experience using a variety of delivery methods for teaching
$54,500 to $60,000 commensurate with experience, for a traditional 9-month academic-year appointment. Adams State University offers an excellent medical/dental and retirements benefits package in addition to the salary.
Campus and School Information
Adams State University offers a wide variety of bachelor's degrees across a range of disciplines in science and mathematics. Faculty across the School of Science, Mathematics, and Technology enjoy a collaborative environment and have university-wide support to further the vision of educating diverse students.
Adams State University is a state-supported regional comprehensive university in Alamosa, Colorado, United States. Adams State is Colorado's premier Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and is also a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) with over 54% of our students representing diverse backgrounds. We have a high percentage of first-generation students with an equally high percentage of students who are Pell eligible. The university offers undergraduate programs in physical and social sciences, kinesiology, fine arts, business and nursing, and specializes in educator curricula in several disciplines. Adams State also offers graduate degrees in history, art, business (MBA), and educator programs, including counselor education; the university also has a doctoral (PhD) program in counselor education. The university has an active athletic program, both in participatory sports and in athletics educator training. The Adams State Grizzly athletic teams compete under the auspices of the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference.
Located in the beautiful San Luis Valley between the Sangre de Cristo and San Juan mountain ranges, Adams State University is a state-supported Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) in Alamosa, CO. The vast San Luis Valley is designated the Sangre de Cristo National Heritage Area. We are, at 7,500 feet, in the largest alpine valley in the United States. Alamosa is located approximately 3.5 hours from Denver, 1.5 hours from Taos, New Mexico, and 2.5 hours from Santa Fe, New Mexico. Alamosa has a population of 9,500, with recently built elementary schools, a moderate cost of living, and affordable housing. ASU takes a leading role in local theatre performances and musical events and is in an area where the opportunities for outdoor recreation abound.
Additional information about the university and the engineering program may be found at http://www.adams.edu and https://www.adams.edu/csume. Information about the community and surrounding area can be found at http://www.alamosa.org/
Adams State University is dedicated to fostering Inclusive Excellence and especially encourages applications from women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and other historically underrepresented populations. Given the university's mission and student body composition, the institution is committed to increasing the diversity of its professional staff and is actively seeking qualified applicants who have experiences, skills, and/or personal attributes that augment the perspectives of our current faculty and staff; we will give particular consideration to qualified applicants with experience in ethnically diverse settings or who possess varied language skills and have a record of successful experience in engaging diverse communities and student populations. Additional information about the university and the academic mission may be found at www.adams.edu/academics/
Complete applications include the following:
Send materials as PDF documents to:Dr. Matt Nehringmatt.email@example.com
- Letter of application addressing the following points:
- applicant's interest in and qualifications for the position based on the above criteria
- evidence of teaching effectiveness and a description of the candidate's experience working with students from historically underserved populations
- how the applicant would contribute to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the classroom
- how teaching at a small, Hispanic Serving Institution, with a significant population of first-generation university students, set in a rural environment aligns with the applicant's professional goals
- Curriculum vita
- Undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- Transcripts of all college work (legible copies accepted). Official transcripts and background check are required at time of appointment.
- A list of five professional references (name, affiliation, email address, and phone number) who can address the applicant's qualifications for the position
Review of completed applications will begin on 15 February 2022 and continue until closed. Additional Information
In compliance with the Immigration Control Act of 1968, candidates for positions must provide proof of eligibility to work before an offer of employment can be made final.
Adams State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Applications are sought from all qualified persons regardless of race, color, sex, disability, and, as covered by law, veteran status. In addition, University policies prohibit discrimination on the basis of religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation including transgender status and gender expression, marital status, and parental status.
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and Part 106 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex, including in admission and employment. Inquiries about the application of Title IX and CFR 106 to Adams State University (ASU) may be directed to ASU's Office of Equal Opportunity, Director Ana Guevara, and/or to the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights of the Department of Education. Support resources for sexual misconduct, ASU's sexual misconduct policies, contact information for the Adams State University's Office of Equal Opportunity & Title IX, as well as a detailed procedure for filing a grievance due to discrimination on the basis of sex may be found online at https://www.adams.edu/administration/oeo/reporting-sexual-harassment/. These procedures also describe the University's response to reports and/or complaints of sex discrimination or sexual harassment. Background Check Policy
Adams State University performs background checks as a condition of employment for prospective employees and current employees seeking certain promotional opportunities. Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of an acceptable background check. Applicants will be asked to provide personal data and sign a release form before the background check is conducted. Applicants who fail to provide the data and consent form will not be considered for employment or promotion. Background checks include review of criminal records and sex offender registry background. Credit and driving record background may apply to certain positions.
The Chronicle of Higher Education. Keywords: Physics - Assistant Professor, Location: Alamosa, CO - 81101