Dean School of Law
The University of North Dakota is seeking candidates for the position of Dean of the UND School of Law. Reporting directly to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Dean is the chief executive officer of the School of Law and is responsible for its effective administration. The Dean will provide leadership and facilitate an environment for accomplishing strategic goals, as well as aligning the functioning of the School of Law with UND's broader academic identity and strategic planning.Position Description
UND seeks a dynamic and visionary leader who will build upon the School of Law's strengths to provide exceptional professional educational experiences, recruit and develop outstanding faculty, and promote faculty-driven scholarly and creative endeavors.
Significant investments at the University in terms of research development in critical areas are propelling the University forward as the flagship research institution in the state of North Dakota. Meanwhile, the University's ongoing commitments to student success at both the undergraduate and graduate level continue to elevate the tradition of educational excellence at the institution.
Duties & Responsibilities
- The Dean is responsible, in cooperation with the Provost, for academic and administrative planning; budgeting; administration and implementation of department, college and university policies; and fund-raising and external relations.
- The Dean, in partnership with the faculty, is responsible for academic program development and review; faculty recruitment; development and evaluation of faculty; and student relations.
- The next dean will be a committed team player who is devoted to excellence and shared governance. The selected individual will be a consultative decision-maker and will work collaboratively with faculty, staff, students, and administrators.
- The Dean will have unquestioned integrity and exemplary interpersonal and communication skills.
- The incoming dean of the School of Law will have the opportunity to build on the long-standing tradition of excellence within the School, and to work alongside both internal and external partners and stakeholders to increase and enhance the mission of the School.
- Enhancing access and opportunity for students and faculty through alumni and donor relations will be essential in the coming years as the University engages in robust capital campaigning and relationship building, as will bringing key programmatic opportunities to the students of the college that will position them-and the School-for ongoing service to the state and the region.
The following is an abbreviated list of the responsibilities associated with this position:
- Promoting high-quality academic programs and supporting high-quality teaching.
- Fostering collaborative academic planning and innovative curricular development.
- Promoting student success and retention.
- Advancing research, scholarship, and creative activities.
- Creating an inclusive campus climate that demonstrates a commitment to inclusiveness and encourages service to underserved populations.
- Attracting support for the University and the School through active engagement of alumni, community, industry and other external constituents, and effectively participating in fundraising activities/alumni relations.
- Maintaining accreditation standards and complying with other reporting requirements for accrediting agencies.
- Managing the budget in accordance with the University's Model for Incentive Resource Allocation, including the preparation, submission, disbursement of, and working within the budget of the School. In collaboration with others, creating and supporting a plan that results in the recruitment and retention of highly qualified staff
- Leading the coordination of School governance.
- Maintaining and strengthening partnerships within and outside of the University.
- Envisioning and implementing a vision for the School in furtherance of the University's mission and goals.
- Building relationships across the campus and within the staff that engender trust through open communication.
- A Juris Doctor (J.D.) or other terminal degree in law
- Ten years of experience in teaching, the practice of law and/or legal education administration
Key Traits & Attributes
- A record of achievement that would qualify the candidate for holding a tenured faculty position within the School of Law.
- Career track of progressive, documentable accomplishments in increasingly complex leadership roles - particularly within an academic setting.
- Experience creating innovative approaches to provide faculty and staff with the resources and support to maintain and enhance excellence in teaching, scholarship and student support.
- Experience working closely and collaboratively with senior leadership and establishing strong working relationships with University, State Bar and legislative governing bodies.
- Proficiency with data and data analytics.
- Experience overseeing recruitment, retention, supervision and mentorship of high-quality faculty and staff.
- Experience with positively impacting student recruitment, enrollment and retention.
- Experience with fundraising and identification of creative and atypical revenue streams.
- Working knowledge and experience with academic entrepreneurship and creativity.
- A record of sound budgetary management with good financial acumen.
- A record of working with, understanding and addressing the needs of nontraditional students and other underserved populations.
- Experience with, or knowledge of the accreditation processes.
- Proven record of providing direction and advocacy for research and creative endeavors.
- Demonstrated leadership in fostering commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Experience with administration of the promotion and tenure process, faculty hiring and appointments and other personnel actions.
- A consistent record of setting and surpassing goals and objectives.
- A record of excellence in teaching, research and service in higher education.
Application & Nomination
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to communicate complex or technical information clearly to a range of audiences.
- Comfortable, effective and engaging in public speaking.
- Able to work with small groups, as well as one-on-one communication with all constituencies.
- An active listener with timely follow-up and follow-through skills.
- A visible, servant leader; leads by example.
- Demonstrates humility, flexibility and delegation; is not a micromanager.
- Able to make well informed decisions; involves others in decision making.
- A forward thinking, proactive visionary.
- An effective agent of change with the ability to motivate and inspire others.
- An appreciation for, and supporter of shared governance.
- A commitment to diversity, equity and inclusivity in faculty, staff and student populations.
- Interpersonal skills that lead to effective interactions both inside and outside the University.
- An entrepreneurial spirit.
- A deep commitment to student learning and a positive student experience.
- A motivator and mentor to faculty, staff and students.
- A strategic, critical thinker who leads with candor, sound judgment and transparency.
- Possesses high emotional intelligence, a strong moral compass, unquestionable integrity, high professional standards, authenticity and commitment to cause.
- A positive agent of change.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applications received by Tuesday, January 25, 2022 are assured consideration.
Applications should include a letter of interest (not more than three pages) specifically addressing the applicant's background in relationship to the qualifications described and current curriculum vitae.
Applications should be sent electronically (MS Word or PDF Format) to UNDlawdean@anthemexecutive.com.
Nominations for this position may also be emailed to UNDlawdean@anthemexecutive.com.
Applicants needing reasonable accommodation to participate in this application process should contact Anthem Executive at 941.240.8847.
The Chronicle of Higher Education. Keywords: Dean, Location: Grand Forks, ND - 58202