Kezar Life Sciences (NASDAQ: KZR), a clinical-stage biotechnology sciences company located in South San Francisco, is seeking a Scientist / Sr. Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry. This position will report to the Principal Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry and will will involve the efficient design and hands-on synthesis of novel compounds for ongoing and emerging projects, identification and application of prevailing SAR to compound design, and team-driven optimization of drug-like clinical candidates. Responsibilities will also include translating to large scale the chemistries of successful candidates, contribution to patent and publication preparation and near-term management of CRO-driven collaborations.
Kezar is focused on small molecule drug discovery and development to target immune-mediated diseases and cancer. Kezars lead product candidate, KZR-616, a selective inhibitor of the immunoproteasome, is being evaluated in Phase 2 clinical trials for the treatment of severe autoimmune diseases. KZR-261, Kezars first oncology candidate targeting the protein secretion pathway via the Sec61 translocon, is now being studied in a Phase 1 clinical trial in several oncology indications.
* Ph.D. in synthetic organic chemistry with 5-7 years of medicinal chemistry experience in the pharmaceutical industry
* Detailed and current knowledge of advances in medicinal chemistry, synthetic methodology, and exemplary application thereof
* Expert understanding of ADME, physicochemical properties of drug-like matter, and principles of medicinal chemistry
* Demonstrated identification and application of SAR toward successful hit-to-lead and lead compound optimization
* Proven successful application of structure-based drug design supported by current knowledge of relevant molecular modeling software
* Demonstrated ability to oversee and effectively coordinate collaborating internal and/or CRO chemists
* Flexibility to work simultaneously on multiple projects under tight timelines and changing priorities
* Effective communication/scientific discourse amongst different disciplines, internally and externally
* Record of accomplishment as evidenced by program progression, publications and/or patents
* Knowledge and understanding of safe operating practices
* Innovative spirit and willingness to join a highly collaborative group of scientists in a fast-paced, early-stage company.