Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Associate Director, Applied Data Science will lead Thrive Health Economics and Outcomes Research (HEOR)'s real world evidence (RWE) data strategy to define the strategy, perform data analysis, and communicate RWE results to various stakeholders, such as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), private payers, and the U.S. Preventative Services Task Force (USPSTF), with the end goal of achieving broad coverage and favorable reimbursement for Thrive's multi-cancer detection products and integrated support services.
The Associate Director, Applied Data Science will collaborate heavily with internal and external HEOR stakeholders to include key opinion leaders (KOLs) to address government, provider, payer, and internal company HEOR needs. This position will work cross-functionally to tailor RWE endpoints and messaging appropriately to the applicable stakeholders, effectively communicating and presenting complex technical concepts and quantitative analyses to both internal and external executive audiences. This position will set RWE strategies with expertise in the design and application of RWE generation projects during all phases of product life cycles, but especially in earlier phases to include premarket approval (PMA) submissions and early lifecycle coverage determinations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Direct RWE strategy; including, but not limited to, create end points to address market needs, data management, and registry protocol.
• Incorporate business requirements and concerns of top tier customers and KOLs into RWE strategies, analytic tools, and results-focused approaches.
• Identify and maintain successful research relationships with HEOR KOLs and other clinical and/or academic consultants.
• Work cross-functionally with key internal and external stakeholders; including, but not limited to, provider relations, payer relations, external affairs, business development, product development, clinical development, finance, patients, providers, economists, payers, healthcare organizations, and policymakers to define specific customer needs and drive the RWE generation strategy accordingly.
• Lead the development of HEOR strategies; assist in the creation of tactics for economic value and quality of life arguments during product development and launch to support pricing and reimbursement across payer and health system customers.
• Educate the organization on the latest developments in HEOR as it relates to evidence-based medicine, patient reported outcomes (PRO), regulatory processes, and reimbursement policies.
• Facilitate value and outcomes-based evaluations in support of contracting with payer organizations.
• Coordinate necessary publicly available data to create and include economic arguments.
• Develop research plans, protocols, and budgets; conduct analyses and prepare drafts, final reports, abstracts, and manuscripts.
• Provide additional internal training on HEOR methodologies and data results to colleagues.
• Work closely with medical writers and analysts to ensure analysis and scientific material is appropriate, relevant, and accurate.
• Ensure compliance with applicable standard operating procedures (SOPs) in all activities.
• Manage cross-functional teams to execute and deliver research, projections, and analyses on a project basis, as needed.
• Supervise staff; including, but not limited to, organize and prioritize work, write/conduct performance reviews, train/develop, and manage work performance.
• Communicate goals clearly to employees to ensure understanding and success in achieving them.
• Motivate and inspire employees to do their best work through coaching.
• Maintain morale and support employee engagement initiatives.
• Ability to work in a highly cross-functional and strategic position.
• Ability to think creatively and innovatively about HEOR approaches to a brand-new multi-cancer early detection market.
• Ability to manage analysts; ability to work in close collaboration with Thrive executives and broader Exact Sciences personnel.
• Ability to represent the company in discussions during customer presentations, contract negotiations, and at scientific conferences.
• Ability to develop and maintain strong internal and external relationships while enhancing the companys strategic and operational positions.
• Apply superior oral and written communication skills; ability to communicate complex concepts and programs persuasively and succinctly at the highest levels of business and clinical operations.
• Apply strong presentation development and delivery skills; ability to give presentations to a wide spectrum of audiences, both internally and externally.
• Apply outstanding interpersonal skills; ability to establish rapport and credibility with key individuals; ability to build and maintain a broad network of relationships in the preventive health services field.
• Apply strong process and project management skills.
• Ability to be a strategic and quantitative thinker; ability to be adaptable and resourceful.
• Uphold company mission and values through accountability, innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
• Support and comply with the company's Quality Management System policies and procedures.
• Maintain regular and reliable attendance.
• Ability to act with an inclusion mindset and model these behaviors for the organization.
• Ability to work on a mobile device, tablet, or in front of a computer screen and/or perform typing for approximately 90% of a typical working day.
• Ability to travel 5% of working time away from work location, may include overnight/weekend travel.
• Ph.D. in Data Science, Biostatistics, Health Economics, Outcomes Research, Epidemiology, or field as outlined in the essential duties; or Master's Degree in Data Science, Biostatistics, Health Economics, Outcomes Research, Epidemiology, or field as outlined in the essential duties with 2 years of relevant experience as outlined in the essential duties in lieu of Ph.D.
• Demonstrated progressive advancement in relevant data science or professional roles in the pharmaceutical or biomedical industry, a managed care, public sector, academic organization, HEOR research organization, or other setting in which responsibilities included population-based healthcare management and/or clinical/pharmacoeconomic evidence generation.
• Demonstrated strong knowledge of and comfortability with various aspects of effective RWE generation and implementation to include the management of consulting relationships, clinical registry management, protocol design, oversight of data collection and/or acquisition, analytic plan development, data analysis, KOL engagement, and the development of research findings into publications and field resources/deliverables in alignment with brand and channel strategies.
• Demonstrated familiarity with methodological approaches and tools in health services research to include retrospective database analysis, cost-effectiveness analysis, budget impact models, modeling studies, and/or patient reported outcomes assessment.
• Proficient in programming languages used in data analysis and modeling such as R and Python and/or communication of analytical approaches and mathematics.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office programs.
• Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the position with or without accommodation.
• Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.
• 5+ years of experience in data science, health economics, outcomes research, or field as outlined in the essential duties.
• 2+ years of experience managing RWE strategy for new healthcare interventions to include the creation of end points to address market needs, data management, and registry protocol.
• 2+ years in the pharmaceutical or biomedical industry to include a demonstrated history of excellent performance success supporting products that are early in their life-cycle.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state, or federal law. Applicable portions of the Company's affirmative action program are available to any applicant or employee for inspection upon request.