Parsons School of Constructed Environments at The New School University is seeking applications from academics, creative practitioners, and industry professionals with interest in teaching within the following programs as members of the part-time faculty:
- AAS , BFA , and MFA Interior Design
- BFA Architectural Design and Master of Architecture
- BFA Product Design & MFA Industrial Design
- MFA Lighting Design
In particular, we are looking for candidates who can teach in at least one (or more) of the following topic areas:
- Environmental Design/Technology
- Human Factors, Ergonomics, Interface
- Portfolio, Publication, Dynamic Media
- Computer-Aided Industrial Design
- Design Studios
- Building Systems and Materials
- Representation and Analysis
- Ethnography and Design
- Design Research Writing
Candidates must uphold the values expressed within our Schools mission statement: Encompassing a unique confluence of design disciplines, the School of Constructed Environments nurtures and guides tomorrows leaders in socially and environmentally sustainable, technologically innovative buildings, interiors, lighting, and products. In a time of unprecedented change, we foster the skills, values, and vision vital to creative thinking and the realization of a more integrated, equitable, and delightful world.
Parsons School of Design and The New School are committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive learning environment that furthers equity, inclusion, and social justice. Therefore, we actively seek candidates whose experiences, teaching philosophies, and scholarly practice prepare them to expand and contribute to that commitment.
We encourage candidates from groups underrepresented in US higher education to apply. The New School does not discriminate based on age, race, color, creed, sex or gender (including gender identity and expression), pregnancy, sexual orientation, religion, religious practices, mental or physical disability, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, veteran status, marital or partnership status, or any other legally protected status.
Part-time faculty are responsible for: developing course content and syllabi in consultation with Program Leadership; attending all classes they are assigned to teach as scheduled by the University; reporting any emergency faculty absences to the PTF Manager and/or Program Leadership; recording student attendance in a timely manner within two days of each class session; and adhering to all University policies (i.e., FERPA , exclusive use of New School email, etc.), as outlined in the ACT - UAW Local 7902 Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Read more about our programs here. (https://www.newschool.edu/parsons/constructed-environments-school-sce/)
- A bachelors degree in a relevant field
- 1-3 years University-level teaching experience or equivalent industry experience
- U.S. Work Authorization
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative teaching environment
- Documented evidence of professional and/or creative work to support topic areas
- Educational and/or professional work/practice that centers inclusion and advances equity and social justice in the built environment.
- Prior experience in higher education
- Masters degree or equivalent terminal degree
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit the following:
- Cover Letter*
- Brief Statement sharing your experience with Diversity and Equity in the classroom and/or in a professional capacity.
*In your cover letter please include the topic areas in which you would be able to teach.