The department of Pathology has an exciting opportunity for a full-time Research Associate 2 to work on the UHealth campus. The successful applicant will work on sequencing and analyzing viruses which have escaped broadly neutralizing antibody neutralization in rhesus macaques, analyzing HIV envelope protein for the presence of O-glycosylation, and investigated O-glycosylation in other virus families which have envelopes that are predicted to be highly O-glycosylated. Prior knowledge of molecular biology, cloning techniques, protein purification/analysis, and cell culture using sterile technique is desirable. The duties of the selected candidate will include ELISA assays for quantitating of antibody levels, cloning plasmid DNA constructs and purification of the construct DNA, protein purification, western blot and lectin western blot analysis, and measurements of virus neutralization.CORE JOB FUNCTIONS
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary. CORE QUALIFICATIONS
- Performs specialized and complex experiments/studies.
- Participates in the publication of significant research results.
- Advances expertise through education, training, and research.
- Writes extramural grants/proposals to gain support when appropriate.
- Collects, prepares, analyzes, dissects, and evaluates specimens and tissue cultures.
- Weighs and anesthetizes laboratory animals for experiments.
- Operates sensitive and highly complex laboratory equipment.
- Performs calculations to complete research test results.
- Performs photography and dark room processing.
- Participates in training sessions and workshops.
- Adheres to University and unit-level policies and procedures and safeguards University assets.
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Bachelor's Degree in relevant field required
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience
- Skill in collecting, organizing, and analyzing data.
- Ability to recognize, analyze, and solve a variety of problems.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in making critical decisions.