UP Posting - Academic
OFFICE OF THE VICE-CHANCELLOR AND PRINCIPAL
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 1
The University of Pretoria is one of the leading research universities in South Africa. The University's nine faculties offer a wide spectrum of under- and postgraduate programmes, which are recognised internationally. The University awards approximately 15% of all degrees conferred annually in South Africa. The University is a leader in inquiry-led teaching and learning, which stimulates critical thinking and creates opportunities for students to develop a deeper understanding of concepts. The University's well-established hybrid teaching and learning model offers students the best of both worlds, online and contact, and is designed to enable them to succeed at university and in life beyond university. In addition to receiving a quality academic education, students at the University are exposed to a diverse range of activities in the areas of leadership development, sport, culture and the arts.
The University wishes to appoint a Vice-Principal: Academic who is a dynamic leader who is invested in innovation and creativity in the teaching and learning space to develop well-educated, well-trained and skilled graduates who are fully rounded and sensitive to the broader social environments locally and globally.
The Vice-Principal: Academic is appointed by the Council and is accountable to both the Council and the Vice-Chancellor and Principal for carrying out such duties as delegated to him/her by the Council and Vice-Chancellor and Principal. He/she provides leadership in ensuring that the University realises its objective of being one of the top research institutions on the African continent, being globally competitive and a regional centre for the training of postgraduate students
The Vice-Principal: Academic is a member of the Executive, who are responsible for ensuring the proper functioning and administration of the University.
The Vice-Principal: Academic
- is responsible for faculties and for the core teaching and learning activities at the undergraduate level;
- should be a visionary academic leader with international standing as a scholar. The incumbent oversees and implements the University's academic plans and policies and has overall responsibility for the faculties, academic departments, institutes and research centres;
- has the responsibility to promote and maintain excellence in teaching and learning, undergraduate programmes and curricula while ensuring that they are internationally competitive and responsive to the local context;
- is the reporting line manager for all Deans, who is ex officio a member of Senate and all Faculty Boards;
- has institutional responsibility for all committees or other bodies concerned with educational policy or with academic appointments or promotions; and
- should have leadership skills and experience in inspiring people to achieve academic excellence across the University.
The responsibilities of this position are not necessarily limited to what is outlined above, other responsibilities, tasks may be added by the Vice-Chancellor and Principal from time to time as the need arises.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR APPOINTMENT:
- A doctoral degree;
- A total of fifteen (15) years as an established scholar, with international standing and an excellent academic record, of which eight (8) years should be in a senior management role in a higher education environment;
- Strong leadership characteristics, excellent communication and interpersonal skills as well as computer and information literacy skills;
- A proven track record in academic policy development and implementation at a strategic level;
- A proven record and peer recognition in teaching and learning;
- Proven ability and skills in liaising with and managing Internal and external stakeholders;
- Proven managerial capabilities and experience at a senior level;
- The ability to work in a team is required, and the degree to which candidates will strengthen and complement the existing Executive team is a major consideration;
- Executive or senior management as well as academic experience at an institution of higher learning is required; and
- The candidate should qualify for appointment as a full professor at the University of Pretoria.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- A management qualification.
Vice-principals are appointed for a term of five (5) years and external candidates could be considered for a permanent academic appointment in an appropriate academic department within the University.
The Regulations and Procedure for the Appointment of Vice-Principals are available on www.up.ac.za at Careers@UP (link: Appointment of Vice-Principals ) or may be requested from Ms Sithembile Mbuyisa, the Director: Human Resources on +27 12 420 2375.
For further information on the posts and other enquiries, please contact the Director: Human Resources on +27 12 420 2375 or e-mail: email@example.com .Candidates must confirm in writing that they accept the applicable University appointment regulations and procedures
. Please note that the University may decide to extend the closing date and to undertake further recruitment initiatives.
PLEASE NOTE: All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent's level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.Applications must be accompanied by the following supporting documents:
- a full curriculum vitae;
- an abbreviated curriculum vitae;
- certified copies of qualifications and identity document;
- a self-evaluation by the applicant of his/her suitability for appointment in the post;
- the applicant's vision for the portfolio; and
- the names and contact details of at least three (3) referees who can attest to the candidate's academic stature as well as leadership qualities. (Applicants should note that the University also reserves the right to appoint and consult its own referees.)
All supporting documentation as listed above must be attached electronically to the application.CLOSING DATE: 15 February 2022
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 July 2022, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference will be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right not to fill the advertised positions.