School of Biomedical Sciences
University of Birmingham, Dubai campus
No. of positions: 2
Location: Dubai, UAE
Closing Date: 7th February 2022University of Birmingham Dubai
Having established ourselves in Dubai International Academic City in 2018 we have now moved to our new state-of-the-art campus which opened in Sept 2021. These posts represent an excellent opportunity to join an ambitious World Top 100 University as we continue to grow our long-term strategic mission in Dubai, the UAE and the wider region. Our campus reflects the very best of Birmingham through our presence in Dubai.Job summary
As an Associate Professor in Biomedical Science, you will make a substantial contribution to the management, development and delivery of the BSc Biomedical Science programme on our Dubai campus. Through excellent teaching you will inspire students, and be informed by discipline-based research as well as contribute to the leadership, management and administration of the programme in Dubai. We are looking for candidates with extensive teaching experience at undergraduate level in the Biomedical Sciences that can teach and assess across a range of biomedical disciplines such as molecular and cell biology and human physiology. Dependent on experience there is the potential to also become Director of the Dubai Biomedical Science programme and thus experience in leadership and or programme management would be highly desirable.
You will contribute to a range of education-related activities to include small group teaching, lectures and practical classes as well as adopting innovative methods of teaching to include flipped classrooms. In addition you will be expected to demonstrate academic citizenship, developing and maintaining mutually respectful and supportive working relationships with all staff (in both Dubai and our Edgbaston campus) and students, and ensuring the way you carry out your role impacts positively on how others carry out theirs.
Teaching is likely to include a substantial contribution to the management, development and delivery of teaching and assessment at all levels which will involve a close working relationship with Biomedical Science module leads on our Edgbaston campus. The role will typically also involve developing and advising others, including: (a) providing expert advice to other recruited staff and students, and (b) developing and advising others on learning and teaching tasks and methods. You will also play an important role in student academic and developmental support.
Furthermore, the successful candidates will work closely with Professor David Sadler, Provost (Dubai), Head of the School of Biomedical Sciences, the Head of Education for the School and the Programme Director for the BSc and MSci in Biomedical Science. Dependent on experience they will also have the opportunity to contribute to line management and personal development of other members of staff as well as fully engaging in widening participation and outreach activity.Main Duties/ResponsibilitiesEducation
1. You will contribute across the range of teaching and learning activities:
- Lead on teaching delivery and assessment on a range of Biomedical Science modules at undergraduate level. This will be coordinated in close partnership with respective leads at our UoB Edgbaston campus.
- To develop and apply innovative teaching approaches and materials to enable enhanced student learning.
- Contribute to the development and management of assessment strategies within the School.
- To contribute to ad hoc educational projects undertaken within the School, College, Institute and University, including dissemination of findings at conferences and in publications.
- Engage with the Careers Network and external stakeholders to develop placement opportunities for the biomedical science programme.
- Advance the practice of teaching in their modules and within the school.
- Play an important role in student academic support.
- Inform your teaching practice by discipline-based research.
- Frequently update your subject expertise, and undertake personal professional development in teaching, including self-reflection on own teaching, using student and peer review feedback, to enhance own teaching and learning processes.
- You may play an important role in the recruitment and admission of students.
2. Use a variety of methods in teaching and advising individuals and groups of undergraduates, including (as appropriate):
- Teaching and examining Biomedical Science modules at yr 1 and yr 2 undergraduate level.
- Planning and reviewing your own teaching approaches and encouraging others to do the same.
- Designing contemporary, inclusive, engaging and academically challenging curriculum content.
- Working collaboratively with colleagues to design and deliver teaching, learning and assessment.
- Using digital resources/environments effectively to support learning and assessment; this is particularly pertinent since some teaching activity may involve live synchronous sessions between Dubai and Birmingham.
- Where appropriate, undertaking and developing the full range of responsibilities in relation to supervision, marking and examining.
To contribute to School administration. This may include:
- Contributing to the administration/management of teaching across the School though most pertinently this will be predominantly focussed on managing the delivery of the Biomedical Science programme in Dubai.
- In the instance of being appointed as programme director, working with a range of stakeholders (academics in both Dubai and Edgbaston and professional services) to lead and manage the implementation and delivery of the Dubai Biomedical Science programme and or any new teaching activity.
- Developing and managing staff and resources in support of major teaching activities.
- Advising on personal development of colleagues and students.
- Making a contribution to administrative activities within the University (e.g., appeals panels, working groups).
- Making a sustained contribution to widening participation, schools outreach and/or public understanding of the discipline.
- Promoting equality, diversity and inclusion through monitoring and evaluation and actively challenging unacceptable behaviour.
Contributing to an inclusive working environment:
You will have:
- Pursuing your activities in a way that helps others to pursue their activities effectively and efficiently.
- Demonstrating a willingness to be involved in a variety of activities supporting University life (e.g., participation in graduation, School committees).
- Demonstrating support for colleagues, such as sharing resources, providing advice.
- Willingness to volunteer for one-off duties (such as supporting School, Institute projects).
- Positively engaging in School strategic initiatives.
- Proactive support and involvement in activities specifically contributing to a positive and inclusive community spirit across the School/College/University.
- A PhD or equivalent in a Biomedical discipline.
- Demonstrable excellence in delivering Biomedical education, management and administration.
- Extensive experience of module design, leadership, and expertise in delivering teaching across a range of biomedical subjects.
- Evidence of excellent working relationships with an array of stakeholders.
- Experience of working in a programme management team.
- Skills in managing, motivating & mentoring others.
- Evidence of scholarship in education (for example Fellowship of HEA, PGCert or equivalent)
- Ability to design, deliver, assess and revise teaching programmes.
- Extensive experience and demonstrated success in developing appropriate approaches to learning and teaching and advising colleagues.
- Ability to contribute to School/programme management processes.
- Ability to assess and organise resources effectively.
- Understanding of and ability to contribute to broader management/administration processes.
- Experience of championing Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in own work area.
- Ability to monitor and evaluate the extent to which equality and diversity legislation, policies, procedures are applied.
- Ability to identify issues with the potential to impact on protected groups and take appropriate action.
In return, you will receive a competitive package and be a key part of an expanding and ambitious University as we develop our international reputation and global footprint.
This is a full-time post, based in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
The University of Birmingham is an Athena Swan Bronze award holder and committed to providing a supportive work environment for our staff and providing equal opportunities in our recruitment process.
The University of Birmingham is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds and will take flexible working option into consideration during the process.
Further details relating to this position as well as our developing Dubai Campus can be found at http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/dubai/work-with-us/index.aspx
For informal enquiries, please contact Professor Chris Tselepis, Head of School of Biomedical Sciences (Birmingham campus) email@example.com (Birmingham) and Professor David Sadler, Provost (Dubai campus) - email firstname.lastname@example.org (Dubai) Valuing excellence, sustaining investment We value diversity at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community