-Manufacturing Staff EngineerRequisition number
When you are part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you'll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you'll be supported in achieving your career goals.Location/Division Specific Information
Genetic Science Division, Process Engineering Team, Pleasanton CAHow will you make an impact?
The candidate will provide engineering guidance to support the growth of current business. The candidate will lead and execute ATS instrument qualification supporting the OpenArray expansion project, add process capability to the plant.
The incumbent interacts with both internal customers and external vendors. That interaction requires good communication, both oral and written, and keen analytical skills in identifying problems and implementing engineering solutions. Effectiveness in this role also requires a good technical and functional understanding of the assigned customers' products, processes, equipment, and systems. The role will provide continuous development of technical expertise through experience and application.What will you do?
How will you get here? Education
- Lead team of engineers traveling to Canada and Austin to perform full validation of highly customized equipment.
- Plan, manage and lead projects according to timeline and budget; this may include project schedules, validation reports, manufacturing plans, test plans and test reports.
- Lead technology transfers from R&D to Manufacturing and/or from manufacturing site to manufacturing site.
- Provide technical leadership on cross functional teams for high throughput oligonucleotide operations, business development and R&D applications
- Design and conduct engineering experiments, critically analyze complex data using knowledge of advanced engineering statistics, and communicate results in a team environment.
- Utilize PPI / DMAIC tools to promote a disciplined investigation approach.
- Actively interface with the Manufacturing group and other departments in problem solving with regards to equipment and systems.
- Study and recommend techniques to improve existing products/processes
- Monitor and collect data regarding systems performance and report to management; utilize statistical process controls. Identify existing and potential problems and develop resolutions. Proactively identify problems before they occur, recommend solutions and implement changes to design and/or process as necessary.
- Investigates, creates and develops new methods and protocols for project advancement.
- Independently performs high-level design and development of new products, equipment, and processes. Performs mathematical modeling to simulate and verify designs.
- Develop manufacturing documentation such as engineering changes, BOMs, fab drawings, flow diagrams, SOPs, Procedures, and assembly drawings
- Develop and maintain records on equipment manufacturers' technical notices, upgrades and safety issues.
- Maintains accurate records & training file in accordance with relevant Thermo Fisher Scientific required standards to support patent application and defense as well as other international standards (e.g. ISO compliance, GLP/GMP requirements, etc.).
- Develop and deliver operator and maintenance training and certification.
- Initiates, directs and executes engineering research and/or development strategies through engineering staff or individual studies.
- Proactively identify future projects, specifications, and benefits.
B.S., M.S. or Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related discipline or an equivalent combination of education and experience demonstrating the required skills. Experience
B.S. with greater than 10 years of experience in manufacturing, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Material Sciences or related discipline or M.S. /Ph.D. with greater than 5 years of relevant experience. Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Experience in computer-aided design and analysis tools including SolidWorks, JMP, MiniTab, Word and Excel/ VBA
- Knowledge of life-science research market a plus; instruments, protocols, molecular biology, and biochemistry.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interpret and summarize scientific results in a clear, concise, accurate manner.
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to efficiently evaluate, prioritize and handle multiple and changing projects and priorities.
- Proven ability to lead and provide work direction required.
- Proficient in product and process change controls and risk management
- Project management skills
The candidate will lead the validation and implementation of automated tooling systems (ATS) for the OpenArray Volta Project. An initial training phase of 4-6 months in our Pleasanton location is required prior to traveling to Ontario Canada for 6 weeks to complete FAT of such instruments. The candidate will complete the ATS implementation in our Austin, TX site before returning to Pleasanton. A 25-50% travel is expected during this assignment. The 20-25% travel requirement is only for the first year, after which the travel will be minimal.This position does not have allocation for relocation assistance
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them. Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com