We are seeking a dynamic, thoughtful storyteller to join the Stowers Institute for Medical Research Communications team as Senior Science Writer. The Senior Science Writer writes and edits content for communicating the curiosity-driven, innovative research and mission of the Stowers Institute. This individual must be an excellent writer, editor and communicator who can work with scientists, faculty, leadership, and other members across the Institute.
The Senior Science Writer is a strategic thinker with expertise in writing and editing stories that can be incorporated into the full range of print, multimedia and digital communications tools. The ideal candidate will have experience developing high-quality pieces translating science to multiple audiences. The Senior Science Writer will be a key contributor to building the brand of the Stowers Institute through messaging and storytelling.
This position reports to the Head of Science Communications.Responsibilities Include:
- Serves as one of the primary scientific "translators" to share Stowers Institute discoveries to key audiences.
- Conceptualizes, researches, writes, and edits original material for press releases.
- Identifies news and feature stories, and writes compelling, scientifically accurate and journalistically strong copy, translating complex scientific jargon into news and feature articles for internal and external publications, and other materials for key audiences.
- As needed, develops talking points regarding scientific research that are appropriate for media requests.
- Coordinates timely posting of science news on a variety of outlets.
- Compiles information from multiple investigators while maintaining stylistic consistency.
- Storyboards and assists with videos, presentations and other multimedia related to scientific research and initiatives.
- Works in conjunction with the digital team to facilitate processes for timely publication of content on website, social channels and through email communications.
- Partners with others on the Communications team to develop storyboards and interviews for videos.
- Other duties as assigned.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, public relations, communications, biological sciences, or relevant field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5+ years of experience writing about complex scientific topics for a general audience, based on reading primary research papers and interviewing scientists.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for effective communication and presentation to stakeholders.
- Previous work experience in media relations, communications or journalism, including writing and editing news stories or press releases.
- Master's in science journalism, communications, biological sciences or related field.
- Prior experience in a non-profit organization
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex scientific concepts accurately and engagingly to non-scientific audiences
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to work under tight deadlines, respond to dynamic Institutional needs in a timely manner and to effectively respond to editorial comments
- Basic knowledge of the scientific publication process
- Ability to be goal-oriented, self-motivated, reliable, detail-oriented, articulate and poised; and to possess personal integrity and sound judgment
- Knowledge of AP and Chicago Writing Styles
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office Suite
Submit the requested documents to email@example.com or to Administration Department, Stowers Institute for Medical Research, 1000 E 50th Street, Kansas City, MO 64110.?Requested Documents
- Current Resume
- Cover Letter
- Minimum 2 Letters of Professional Reference