Applications Accepted From
: ALL PERSONS INTERESTEDDivision:
Community Health Services
Area B - Various Locations Workdays & Hours
: Monday - Friday 8AM-5PM* Must be able to work a flexible schedule including weekends as needed *Subject to change*
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Houston Health Department is actively searching for skilled individuals who are self-motivated and willing to provide essential services as a Public Health Nurse IV which includes the following:
- Shares responsibility with other nursing staff members in the planning, coordination, and evaluation of the various public health nursing programs
- Educates the community regarding public health services; may instruct specialized preventive health courses
- Develops and conducts lectures and demonstrations on new techniques for nurses in public or private clinics
- Participates in the orientation, training, and guidance of new employees and nursing students
- Reviews, evaluates, and develops public health care/nursing services for utilization within health center or community settings
- Assists with developing clinical and administrative procedures and policies. May handle special projects as directed
- Conducts and participates in Quality Assurance initiatives and auditing processes.
- Performs assessments and specimen collection; administers/distributes medications to clients per established protocols; and consults with advanced licensed medical professionals to determine most appropriate plan of care
- Verifies, reviews, and enters patient medical history and documents on patients' diseases, operations, immunizations and any other information to coordinate the plan of care for clients
There are occasional minor discomforts from exposure to less-than-optimal temperature and air conditions. The position may involve dealing with modestly unpleasant situations, as with occasional exposure to office chemicals and/or extensive use of a video display terminal.Job Requirements:EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
Requires graduation from an accredited school of nursing. A Bachelor of Science degree in nursing is preferred. EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Four (4) years of nursing practice or experience as a medical professional in a clinic or hospital setting are required.
A Master of Science degree in Nursing, a license to practice as a registered nurse in the State of Texas, in addition to one (1) year of nursing experience may be substituted for the experience requirement. LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
Must be licensed to practice as a registered nurse (RN) in the State of Texas. CPR certification is required. RN
License and CPR certification must be maintained and current for continued employment. **Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.**
•Bilingual (English/Spanish), the ability to speak, read, and write fluently in English and Spanish
•Working knowledge of quality management and quality improvement methodologies
•Excellent written, oral, presentation, facilitation and interpersonal skills
•Ability to handle and prioritize multiple, diverse assignments
•Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs and other basic email and web softwareELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
Application review and/or interview. However, the Department may administer a skill assessment evaluation.SAFETY IMPACT POSITION Yes
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.Pay Grade 22SALARY INFORMATION GRANT FUND POSITION
Grants & Special funded positions are dependent upon continued available funds. If funding is no longer available, employee may be laid off or transferred.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.APPLICATION PROCEDURES
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov.
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call 832-393-4888.
If you need special services or accommodations, call (832-393-4888). (TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call 855-524-5627.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided. EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.