Job Title: Technical Applications Scientist II, Cell CultureRequisition ID: 187028BRThis is an onsite position located at either our Grand Island, NY or Carlsbad, CA facilityAbout Thermo Fisher Scientific!
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue of approximately $40 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, increasing productivity in their laboratories, improving patient health through diagnostics or the development and manufacture of life-changing therapies, we are here to support them. Our global team of more than 100,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services, Patheon and PPD. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com .Division Specific Information
The Technical Application Specialist II is part of the Life Sciences Solutions Group (LSG) which is one of six groups within Thermo Fisher Scientific and is an important part of the companys total value proposition. With an innovative and broad life sciences portfolio, a strong presence at bench, best-in-class web and e-commerce channels, industry-leading on-site supply center coverage and one of the most technically experienced sales and support teams, LSG brings incredible core strength to the broader company.How you will make an impact!
The Technical Applications Scientist is responsible for providing pre and post sales technical support of Thermo Fisher Scientific products to customers and field personnel, as well as relaying customer feedback to the organization. The products of focus include Gibco classical media, sera and reagents, Serum free and specialty media, Protein Expression systems, reprogramming and Cell Therapy Systems products and workflow.What you will do:
How will you get here?EDUCATION
- Provide technical support for Thermo Fisher Scientific cell culture product lines and services by answering customer technical inquiries. Inquiries may be received via telephone, email or web chat.
- Provide customer support on technical issues by utilizing all available resources, and escalate issues or problems when warranted.
- Participate in frequent training on products and continuing education on new applications and technologies to remain at the cutting edge of scientific knowledge.
- Accurately record pertinent information from customer contacts in Customer Relationship Management system.
- Summarize trends and technology as technical tips, FAQs and troubleshooting guides.
- Recommend changes to knowledge databases, website, and other company-managed databases of technical information.
- Present technical updates to colleagues and contribute to department meetings.
- May present technical and product information at trade shows and in customer field visits.
- Participate in additional special team or individual projects.
- May be required to perform other related duties as opportunities arise.
- Some travel may be required for the position
- Minimum Qualifications: B.S., B.A. or M.S. in life sciences or a similar field.
- Preferred Qualifications: PhD. or a PhD. with post-doctoral experience.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- 3+ years of hands-on laboratory experience in cell culture techniques is required with M.S. or PhD (5+ with B.S., B.A.)
- Cell culture workflow techniques most applicable include: culturing, cryopreservation, growth and expansion, serum free/suspension culturing, and cell therapy systems products and workflows, cloning, expression and purification.
- Experience with Dynabeads, Poros resins/columns, and fluorochromes is a plus.
- Prior experience in customer service is a plus.
- Proven ability to quickly learn large amounts of new, complex technical information
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing, to customers and colleagues
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Problem-solving ability
- Computer literacy, including spreadsheet, database, word processing and Internet applications
- A minimum two-year commitment to Technical Support is required due to the extensive up-front training needed to fully support our expansive product line
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.