Job DescriptionJob Overview
Dallas International School provides a multi-lingual, well-rounded education for its students. We pride ourselves on our small classes, the strength of our faculty, the diversity of our student body, and the cultural exchange that happens on our two campuses. Dallas International School is a great place to learn and work!
The School Nurse will devote time as a nurse, taking care of accidents, emergencies, and health assessments as needed. The individual will also maintain confidential student records, promote health at DIS, provide reports and information to Head of Secondary and other staff/ faculty as appropriate.
Job duties include (but are not limited to):
- Provides health assessments.
- Provides emergency care for students and school personnel in case of injury or sudden illness until a parent or lawful guardian assumes responsibility.
- Collaborates with other school personnel including administrators, support staff, and teachers, toward the promotion of child health and its optimal interaction with education.
- Develops and implements a health plan, school medication policy and procedure.
- Establishes, maintains, updates, evaluates, and interprets cumulative health data to accommodate individual needs of students.
- Plans and implements school health management protocols for the child with chronic health problems, including the administration of medication.
- Develops procedures and provides for crises intervention for acute illness, injury and emotional disturbances.
- Promotes and assists in the control of communicable diseases through preventive immunization programs, early detection, surveillance and reporting of contagious diseases.
- Plans, implements, and supervises school health screening programs in accordance with state and district requirements and recommendations. Provides follow-up services when indicated.
- Recommends provisions for a school environment conducive to learning.
- Provides information on health and acts as a resource person in promoting health careers.
- Coordinates school and community health activities and serves as a liaison person between the home, school, and community.
- Encourages parents to maintain current immunization protection as recommended by the Department of Human Services.
- Engages in research and evaluation of school health services to act as a change agent for school health programs and school nursing practices.
- Assists in the formation of health policies, goals and objectives for the school.
- Prepares the budget for school health supplies.
- Prepares first aid kits for each campus.
- Organizes, instructs, and supervises school health volunteers or assistants.
- Reports regularly in writing to the Head of Secondary and Head of School on school health activities.
- Interprets school health services to school personnel.
- Serves as a resource person to school personnel. Participates selectively in classroom instruction under the supervision of the teacher.
- Assists the Student Affairs department with supervision during recess, lunch, carpool and other duties as needed.
- Knowledge and experience working in pediatrics or as a school nurse.
- Bilingual English/French preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in partnership with others and coordinate a working team in the accomplishment of a project.
- Computer skills (Schooldoc/Blackbaud/Word/Excel/Google)
- High School Diploma, with LVN or RN license
- 3+ years experience as a School Nurse
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing, with RN license
- 5+ years experience as a School Nurse
In order to complete the application process, interested candidates must forward the following documentation:
This job description is not necessarily a comprehensive definition of the post. It may be subject to modification or amendment at any time at the discretion of the Head of School.
- A resume or curriculum vitae
- A cover letter
- A minimum of two recommendation letters (at least one from a former supervisor)
- A copy of official transcripts (must be provided if offered the position)
The above responsibilities are subject to the general duties and responsibilities contained in the employee's Conditions of Employment. This job description allocates duties and responsibilities but does not direct the particular amount of time to be spent carrying them out and no part of it may be so construed. This job description is not necessarily a comprehensive definition of the post. It may be subject to modification or amendment at any time after consultation with the holder of the post.
Dallas International School admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admission policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs. Dallas International School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin in its hiring of faculty and staff members.