Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute
MBARI invites applications for a postdoctoral researcher with expertise in biological oceanography and interest in interdisciplinary approaches to study the biological carbon pump. The postdoctoral researcher will analyze data generated from sinking particles collected during the NASA EXPORTS field campaigns in the North Pacific and North Atlantic. The goal of this highly collaborative and interdisciplinary field program is to advance mechanistic models of the biological pump that can be integrated with remote sensing products. To that end, a large suite of observations were made in the surface ocean down to 500 m over the course of two, 1-month-long research cruises (see oceanexports.org). The postdoc will specifically be responsible for analyzing molecular sequence data collected from sediment traps and integrating those results with other EXPORTS datasets in the context of advancing mechanistic models of the biological carbon pump.
This position provides 10 months of support. Start date as early as January 2022, but exact date can be flexible.
Please submit your application material by e-mail to email@example.com, or by mail to the below address, or by fax to (831) 775-1620.
MBARI, Human Resources
Job Code: PD-BioOcean7700 Sandholdt Road
Moss Landing, CA 95039
MBARI is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. MBARI considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or covered veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
MBARI Welcomes Diversity
• PhD at time of appointment
• Experience in molecular sequences analysis (i.e. 18S/16S amplicons) and/or expertise in plankton ecology and taxonomy
• Interest/experience in synthesizing disparate observational datasets
• Knowledgeable about the mechanisms of the biological pump and the current state of the science
• Ability to collaborate across disciplines and with people with diverse viewpoints and expertise
• Ability to work independently and also to participate in collaborative groups
• Comfortable working with large datasets in various formats
• Experience in programing (e.g. python, R) for data analysis