Job DescriptionPosition Summary
The Office of Research at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science invites applications for a full-time Research Center Laboratory Assistant to assist in the daily operations of the Research Centers in the Innovation and Research Park. The University encourages applications from individuals belonging to groups underrepresented in their field and those that can add new and valuable perspectives to the academic environment.Who We Are
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science (RFU) is a graduate health sciences university committed to serving the population through the interprofessional education of health and biomedical professionals and the discovery of knowledge dedicated to improving wellness. The university embodies the spirit of inquiry and excellence modeled by its namesake Dr. Rosalind Franklin, whose Photo 51 was crucial to solving the structure of DNA. RFU is nationally recognized for its research in areas including neuroscience, brain-related diseases, inherited disorders, proteomics, cancer cell biology and immunology, cardiac resuscitation, and gait and balance. Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Required Education & Experience
- Wash laboratory glassware by machine or by hand when needed by certain laboratories. This will include base treatment of glassware as required for certain circumstances.
- Autoclaving of laboratory glassware.
- Filling liquid nitrogen dewars on a weekly basis.
- Perform weekly radioactive swab checks and coordinate quarterly radiation badge exchange for all personnel who are authorized to handle radioactive isotopes.
- Picking up and distributing mail and packages for the Research Centers and Disciplines.
- Collect, process, and arrange disposal of all biohazardous waste from the Research Centers.
- Initiate, coordinate and oversee daily work order requests submitted to Facilities Management to ensure that they are done in a timely and correct manner.
- Coordinate lab set-up for new faculty members.
- Work with new personnel to understand the Research Center policies. Instruct new personnel in the proper use of Center common equipment.
- Oversee the use, repair, and preventative maintenance of Center common equipment.
- Assist faculty with experiments when needed and as assigned by the Executive Vice President for Research.
- Act as liaison between the Centers and sales reps and service personnel.
- Maintain equipment warranty and service contract information. Get service contract quotes before warranties expire.
- Maintain Center conference rooms and ensure proper functioning of audio-visual equipment.
- Assist the Office of the Executive Vice President for Research in special projects involving research, the IRP, or other University endeavors as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- High School Diploma
- Some college Courses or equivalent and/or Laboratory experience
- Must achieve satisfactory results from a background check
- Must have proof of COVID19 vaccination or a university approved exemption
- Excellent organizational and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge about computer applications (Word, Excel, and Power Point).
Typical Physical Demands & Working Conditions
- Laboratory experience
- College courses with science background or equivalent
- Selected candidate must have the mental and physical capabilities to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
EOE, Including Disability / Vets