Primary Work Address: Beckman Center, Stanford, CA, 94305-5323Current HHMI Employees, click here to apply via your Workday account.
We are currently seeking a highly motivated Lab Manager
to manage the day-to-day operations of Dr. Christine Jacobs-Wagner's
lab on-site at Stanford University
. Through bacterial models, the lab seeks to understand the control mechanisms underlying bacterial multiplication, decipher the molecular mechanisms that bacteria use to organize cellular organization, and establish how this spatiotemporal information controls the behavior of the cell. This fundamental understanding of bacterial biology is critical - it will provide a basis for the rational design of novel antibacterial strategies and allow for innovative use of bacteria in medicine, industry, and environment. In addition, the Jacobs-Wagner lab studies the Lyme disease agent Borrelia burgdorferi , revealing unsuspected ways by which this pathogen grows and causes disease. For their studies, the group uses an interdisciplinary approach that combines genetics, genomics, and biochemistry with a battery of quantitative single-cell and single-molecule microscopy techniques. More information about Dr. Jacobs-Wagner and her lab can be found here: https://jacobswagnerlab.stanford.edu/home
This Lab Manager role will be a key part of the lab - serving as a lynchpin to keep the lab running efficiently and effectively. Ideal candidates will be incredibly organized, have a background in research or prior science training, interested in science administration, and have a strong desire to help move science forward. This role will focus on operational and administrative management tasks, but may include some bench work based on the selected candidate's experience, qualifications, and interest.Principal Responsibilities:
- Compiling and maintaining critical lab databases and inventories of equipment and materials to support the lab's re-establishment in the new location.
- Organize and manage day-to-day lab functions as well as special projects as assigned.
- Develop, implement and maintain efficient operating procedures and laboratory practices.
- Maintain current knowledge of applicable health and safety regulations by interacting with designated University managers; monitor lab practices and take appropriate measures to assure continuous compliance.
- Orient and train all staff on lab safety, appropriate conduct, operating standards, and technical and administrative practices.
- Oversee operation and maintenance of essential equipment and maintain all service records and contracts.
- Maintain appropriate inventories of supplies and materials; purchase all supplies, materials, lab services, and equipment; manage vendor relationships, and monitor expenditures.
- Actively contribute to weekly laboratory meetings and planning sessions.
- Oversee organization and storage of research materials - including bacteria; develop and maintain electronic inventory systems for all materials; verify materials to be shipped to other researchers, and oversee verification, recording, and storage of materials received from others; handle routine processes associated with Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs).
- May perform assigned research tasks, such as: molecular cloning, bacterial genetics, bacterial culturing and light microscopy. Specific focus on these research activities will be determined based on the experience, qualifications, and preference of the selected candidate.
- Evaluate new materials, research methods, computer systems, and equipment and coordinate implementation as directed.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science degree in Biology or a related field is required.
- Three or more years of research experience in biology or a related field is required.
- Experience in molecular cloning, bacterial genetics, light microscopy, and/or clinical sample analysis (e.g., ELISA) is preferred.
- Previous experience as a lab manager would be a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to plan effectively.
- Strong communication and record keeping skills.
- Ability to succeed in a fast-paced, collaborative laboratory environment.
- Ability to train lab staff at all levels on lab safety, conduct, policies, standards, and practices.
- Knowledge of computer and MS Office software, as well as Mac software.
- Must be a team player able to interact effectively with a large group and work independently.
Remaining in a normal seated or standing position for extended periods of time; reaching and grasping by extending hand(s) or arm(s); dexterity to manipulate objects with fingers, for example using a keyboard; communication skills using the spoken word; ability to see and hear within normal parameters; ability to move about workspace. The position requires mobility, including the ability to move materials weighing up to several pounds (such as a laptop computer or tablet). Work may involve possible exposure to malodorous vapors, low dose radiation, contamination by toxic chemicals and acids and presence of carcinogenic substances.
Persons with disabilities may be able to perform the essential duties of this position with reasonable accommodation. Requests for reasonable accommodation will be evaluated on an individual basis.Please Note:
This job description sets forth the job's principal duties, responsibilities, and requirements; it should not be construed as an exhaustive statement, however. Unless they begin with the word "may," the Essential Duties and Responsibilities described above are "essential functions" of the job, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act.HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer