The City of Santa Clara is a "full service" city - one of only a few communities in the Bay Area that has its own police, fire, library, recreation, and electric, water, and sewer utilities, as well as all of the other departments and civic amenities expected in a thriving community. Santa Clara is a family-oriented and business-friendly city, led by a city government that has developed an award-winning ethics program and a commitment to fostering public trust. Located in Santa Clara County at the southern tip of San Francisco Bay, about 45 miles south of San Francisco, Santa Clara is a strategic regional hub, convenient to freeways, airports, railroads, expressways, light rail, and other public transportation.
The Recreation Division provides classes and programs for all ages and abilities. We aim to promote the use of safe, clean, and attractive facilities for enjoyment and quality of life for all ages and abilities.
The Recreation Instructor is responsible for planning, instructing, and supervising a specialized class or program. With general policy and departmental philosophy guidance from a supervisor, the incumbent exercises sound independent judgment in setting a class curriculum and schedule in a specialized area of instruction such as aquatics, arts and crafts, athletics, cultural arts, dance, drama, physical fitness, music, older adult programs, preschool, and therapeutics.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment
As an as-needed employee, this is an "at-will" position and there is no guarantee of hours. Hours are limited to 999 in a fiscal year or 960 hours in a fiscal year for retired CalPERS annuitants.
Typical Duties: Each position in this classification may not include all the duties listed below, nor do the examples cover all duties that may be performed.
- Plans, initiates, organizes, and instructs a class in a specialized recreation area
- Explains and demonstrates activity techniques to class or program participants
- Prepares and orders instructional materials and supplies
- Keeps attendance and class records
- Performs other related duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduation from high school or possession of a GED; and
- Six (6) months of experience teaching preschool, therapeutic recreation, or a specialized area in a classroom setting; and
- Must be at least 18 years of age at time of application
LICENSES AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Possession of a valid California Class C driver's license is desirable
- As a condition of employment, incumbents will be required to be fingerprinted in accordance with State of California law
- Must be able to perform all of the essential functions of the job assignment
Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee admittance into the examination process. Only the most qualified candidates who demonstrate the best combination of qualifications in relation to the requirements and duties of the position will be invited to test.
Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of Santa Clara will not sponsor, represent, or sign documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Considerable knowledge of:
- Instructional techniques appropriate to various age groups
- The technical fundamentals of a specialized recreation activity such as athletics, cultural arts, or music
Considerable ability to:
- Plan, organize, and instruct a specialized class or program
- Explain, demonstrate, and clarify information to others
- Demonstrate sensitivity, tact, and excellent customer service while interacting with others
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, including children
- Work in a team-based environment and achieve common goals
- Communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
Physical ability to:
- Assist participants in and out of wheelchairs
- Restrain and/or lift program participants
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration. Applications must be filled out completely (i.e. do not write "see resume or personnel file.") To receive consideration for the screening process, candidates must submit a 1) Cover Letter that states relevant experience as a Recreation Instructor, 2) Resume, and 3) Supplemental Questions. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Application packets may be submitted online through the "Apply Now" feature on the job announcement at www.santaclaraca.gov. This position is continuous or open until filled: Applications will be reviewed on a weekly basis for consideration to the position. If you are interested in applying you are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, before the position is closed.
The City of Santa Clara is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for all job openings will be considered without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status or any other consideration made unlawful under any federal, state or local laws. The City of Santa Clara is committed to offering reasonable accommodations to job applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at (408) 615-2080 or HumanResources@santaclaraca.gov.