- Requisition no: 513015
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Medical Center
- School/Department: Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Grade: Technical Grade 6
- Categories: Research (Lab and Non-Lab)
The Molecular Pathology Shared Resource (MPSR) of the Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center (HICCC) of Columbia University whose aim is to enable cancer and related tissue-based research is seeking a Lab Technologist. The individual will be responsible for all routine aspects of the histology service of the MPSR.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Receiving instructions from clients as to their requests, performance of routine histology services from grossing, to processing, to embedding, cutting, and staining of tissues (routine and specialized).
- Cutting and staining frozen tissues.
- Responsible for the construction of tissue microarray, performing tissue microdissection as well as supervising and training less experienced staff.
- Tasked with ordering supplies, maintaining equipment and related laboratory records, performing billing and recording functions as needed in the laboratory as well as quality assurance-related activities.
- Extensive experience and be highly skilled as a histotechnologist and be willing to assume responsibility and managerial functions as needed, (all other outlined tasks will be trained if unfamiliar).
- Assist in Tissue Banking operations including procuring, processing, storing, and annotation of tissues, and logging to the database and other Tumor Bank-related operations including tissue retrieval and return.
Essential functions (list in order of importance, includes percentage of effort):
- Embedding & cutting of paraffin blocks & frozen sections (50%)
- Routine staining and cover Slipping (10%)
- Assist tissue bank in specimen accession, organization, operations, and computer-related annotation (10%)
- Preparation of laboratory reagents & solutions according to detailed instructions (5%)
- Follow detailed instructions pertaining to research protocol (10%)
- Interact with research personnel & laboratory associates relating to laboratory operations (10%)
- Perform other related duties necessary to the functioning of the laboratory and related research projects (5%)
- Bachelor's degree and at least three years of related experience or equivalent in education, training and experience. or Master's degree and at least one year experience.
- 7 years or more of experience in histology laboratory operations preferred but lesser will be considered based on skillset.
- Any past experience in immunohistochemistry is a plus but is not required, as the facility will back up our IHC service
during vacations (must be willing to learn).
- Computer skills a major plus.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.
Applications open: Oct 15 2021 Eastern Daylight Time Applications close:
Back Apply Share