Job ID: 96571
Area of Interest: Nursing
Location: Linthicum,MD US
Hours of Work: Sun-Sat, 7P-7A
Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical System
Employment Type: Supplemental/Per Diem
Shift: NIGHTWhat You Will Do: General Summary
This role is considered the minimum role for all nurses
who have greater than 24 months experience. Provides and coordinates independent care to patients within a clinical specialty as a fully effective and participative member of the multidisciplinary patient care services team. Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. These are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified. Clinical Practice:
Provides independent care to unit specific patient population; serves as clinical resource for others, utilizes and integrates evidence into practice, functions effectively in roles specific to unit (such as arrest team for ICU, triage for ED, etc). Accountable to patients and families for the processes and outcomes of care during an episode of care. Accountable to peers for the advancement of group practice on the unit, and to the nurse manager for the totality of work performance. Serves as an effective primary coordinating nurse; collaborates with interdisciplinary team to plan and coordinate care addressing patient/family needs. Serves as clinical resource for others. Service/Quality:
Assists in team development and evaluation of the Relationship-Based Care model; suggests methods for improvement. Participates in collection of data related to Relationship-Based Care outcomes (e.g. hand offs, medication safety, etc). Participates in implementation efforts addressing Nursing Sensitive Quality Indicators (NSQI). Participates and contributes to Performance Improvement, or Evidence Based Practice, or research at the unit level. Complies with standards and participates with unit level activities for regulatory compliance. Unit Operations:
Supports charge nurse decisions; performs charge role for assigned shifts as needed. Follows and supports the AACN guidelines for Healthy Work Environment (communication, collaboration, effective decision making, recognition, leadership, staffing); participates as team member focusing on elements within the Healthy Work Environment. Assists in the development of clinical practice protocols and standards for unit. Participates in unit based process governance activities: Performance Improvement, Professional Development, Clinical Practice, Teamwork, etc.; assists in development of action plans and supports implementation. Professional Development:
Serves as preceptor, coach, mentor to new nurses and students. Contributes to ancillary personnel skills and development, attends educational offerings and in-services independently. What You Need to Be Successful: Education & Experience
Licensure as a Registered Nurse in the state of Maryland, or eligible to practice due to Compact state agreements outlined through the MD Board of Nursing, is required.; BSN preferred. Up-to-date status on all mandatory training and classes. Two years nursing experience. Solid knowledge and clinical skills. Current CPR certification required. Maintenance of 10 contact hours of education every two years. Recent applicable clinical experience in a comparable setting. Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Responsible for maintaining competencies required for the patient care setting; focus on advancing own professional development
- Ability to practice and adhere to the guidelines specified in the UMMC Role of the Professional Nurse Job Charter/Description.
- Demonstrates highly effective interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrates leadership qualities through effectiveness as charge nurse, preceptor, or clinical resource.
- Demonstrates effectiveness as a multidisciplinary team member.
- Ability to learn and use computer systems in order to manage patient information.
- Ability to participate in team-building efforts on units; supports and models teamwork
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the patient population(s) served. Ability to demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and ability to assess data reflective of the patient's requirements relative to his or her population-specific and age specific needs.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.