Job Title: Scientific Researcher/ Electrophysiology Core Facility Manager
Location: USF Health
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 28823
Position Details *Department Number/Name:* 0-6144-000 / Molecular Medicine
*College Division:* USF Health- Morsani College of Medicine
*Salary Plan:* Administrative
*Job Code/Title:* 4710 / Scientific Researcher/ Electrophysiology Core Facility Manager
*Hiring Salary/Salary Range:* $55,000 - $62,000 annual
*Position Number:* 00046894
The department of Molecular Medicine is a basic science department in the Morsani College of Medicine.
The University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine invites applications for a Scientific Researcher / Electrophysiology Core Facility Manager position with the Byrd Alzheimer's Center and Research Institute. The successful candidate will manage the Byrd Electrophysiology Core Facility and conduct laboratory research in neurobiology. Applicants should have extensive experience in synaptic physiology and a keen interest in understanding complex mechanisms underlying memory formation and storage in mouse models. Work experience in a multi-user core facility is preferred. Preference will be given to detail-oriented individuals with excellent verbal and written communication skills who love working with people, working on many diverse scientific questions, and are capable of multitasking. Successful applicants will have the opportunity to work in a dynamic environment and train with experienced molecular, cellular, developmental, and behavior neuroscientists investigating various aspects of the nervous system function and dysfunction. The work includes broad latitude to design and conduct synaptic physiology research on Alzheimer's disease under the direction of a principal investigator and conduct routine synaptic physiology experiments for user projects under the guidance of a faculty Core Director. Work typically involves design and oversight of laboratory research, performing the research, data analysis, collaboration in the interpretation, and participation in manuscript as well as grant writing.
* Collect data through electrophysiology recording and image acquisition. Must have functional proficiency to conduct slice physiology recordings and data analysis.
* Train and supervise post-doctoral fellows, graduate, and undergraduate students in carrying out laboratory and analysis procedures. Attend and participate in seminars, meetings, and conferences to stay updated on synaptic physiology research. Attend and participate in meetings to stay updated on current knowledge regarding best practices in USF Core facilities.
* Design and maintain databases to organize research results. Perform computerized data analyses including complex statistical computations and prepare final statistical reports.
* Independently interpret research data and make significant contributions as co-author of research publications and reports. Contribute to the writing, editing, and submission of research grants, manuscripts, and progress reports. Present results in research meetings.
* Be responsible for the organization and direction of daily research activities for the Core Facility. This includes multitasking, juggle multiple responsibilities, managing project priorities and deadlines, and identifying and resolving instrumentation issues as they arise. Interacting constructively with laboratory personnel from collaborating labs. Generating and validating standard operating procedures and policies for the lab. Arranging maintenance contracts and regular scheduled servicing.
* Organizing repairs and servicing when necessary to keep Core facility and laboratory equipment in good working order. Routine maintenance including, changing filters, gas tanks, cleaning machines and replacing lines, and ordering supplies for common equipment. Maintain and keep a daily log sheet on Core facility projects and track hours of use. Supervise reagent ordering for specific projects. Represent the Core lab as needed at Institutional Core manager meetings.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* This position requires a Master's degree in a natural science related to the specific area of research and two years of research experience. Doctoral study in a directly related field may substitute for the required experience. There is no substitution of experience allowed for the Master's degree, as that is a mandatory qualification for positions assigned to this job class.
* Ph.D. degree and two or more years of research experience in synaptic physiology.
* Experience in patch-clamp electrophysiology. Expertise in recording and analysis of synaptic transmission and plasticity in brain slices is required.
* Previous experience with research animals, including training in small animal surgery. Research experience in optogenetics will be an asset.
* Experience in regulatory compliance, including managing biosafety and IACUC protocols.
Core-specific advanced training and work experience in a multi-user core facility.Knowledge of Microsoft Office, image acquisition/analysis software, statistical analysis.*OTHER:*
* Must have verbal and written communication skills to be able to communicate and interact with many researchers effectively
USF Health *Information for Applicants *
This position is subject to a Level 1 criminal background check.
*Job Opening Number: 28823*
*Posting Date: 10/15/2021*
*Posting End Date: 01/09/2022*
*How To Apply *
Click on the *Apply Now* button. When applying to an opening you will have the opportunity to upload a cover letter and resume.
Apply online by completing the required information and attaching your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME, PLUS ANY OTHER REQUESTED MATERIAL, MUST BE IN ONE ATTACHMENT. Only online applications are accepted for this position.
Click [here](http://www.usf.edu/employment) for additional tutorial information.
*Equal Employment Opportunity *
USF is an equal opportunity, equal access academic institution that embraces diversity in the workplace.The University of South Florida does not discriminate on the basis of sex and prohibits sexual harassment. Any person may report sex discrimination, including sexual harassment (whether or not the person reporting is the person alleged to be the victim of conduct that could constitute sex discrimination or sexual harassment), in person, by mail, by telephone, or by electronic mail, using the contact information listed for the Title IX Coordinator. Reports may be made at any time either [online](https://www.usf.edu/title-ix/gethelp/file-a-report.aspx) or directly to the University's Title IX Coordinator.
*Work Location *
Campus map and location overview:
[USF - Health](http://health.usf.edu/index.html)
[USF - Tampa Campus](http://www.usf.edu/about-usf/visit-usf.aspx)
*About USF *
The University of South Florida is a high-impact global research university dedicated to student success. Over the past 10 years, no other public university in the country has risen faster in U.S. News and World Report's national university rankings than USF. Serving more than 50,000 students on campuses in Tampa, St. Petersburg and Sarasota-Manatee, USF is designated as a Preeminent State Research University by the Florida Board of Governors, placing it in the most elite category among the state's 12 public universities. USF is a member of the American Athletic Conference.
*Working at USF*
With more than 16,000 employees at USF, the University of South Florida is one of the largest employers in the Tampa Bay region. At USF you will find opportunities to excel in a rich academic environment that fosters the development and advancement of our employees. We believe in creating a talented, engaged and driven workforce through on-going development and career opportunities. We also offer a first class benefit package that includes medical, dental and life insurance plans, retirement plan options, tuition program and generous leave programs and more.
To learn more about working at USF please visit: [Work Here. Learn Here. Grow Here](https://www.usf.edu/work-at-usf/index.aspx).
*Connect with us:*