We seek a Post Doctoral Research Fellow in support of a grant funded by the National Institute of Minority Health and Health Disparities that seeks to use complex systems thinking to better understand the causes of disparities in diet healthfulness in Philadelphia and to identify policy and program approaches to reduce disparities. The research team will engage a coalition of local stakeholders to develop a dynamic conceptual framework of racial/ethnic disparities in diet healthfulness. We will also develop and use an agent-based model to examine how racial residential segregation and income inequality work in combination to impact diet via disparities in healthy food access and affordability. We will use the model with secondary data from health and social surveys to understand how multilevel public policy related to food access, affordability, and public program participation affect diet disparities by race/ethnicity, immigration status, and other social factors.
The Post Doctoral Research Fellow will work in collaboration with Brent Langellier, the principal investigator of the study, and other members of the research team to design, code, and document an agent-based model.Essential Functions
- Designing, coding, and developing documentation for an agent-based simulation mode
- Writing papers as lead or co-author
- Conducting data analysis
- Actively participating in collaborative research meetings
- Presenting study findings at scientific meetings
- PhD or Doctorate in Public Health, sociology, demography, systems engineering or related field
- One year related experience
- Coursework and/or practical experience in developing agent-based models
- Proficiency in use of agent-based modeling software (e.g., AnyLogic, NetLogo, Repast)
- Typically sitting at a desk/table
University City - Philadelphia PAAdditional Information
This position is classified as Exempt
with a salary grade of l
. For more information regarding Drexel's Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applications will begin once a suitable candidate pool is identified.