For over 25 years, Kelly Science & Clinical has been connecting Science Professionals with industry leading clients. Today we are excited to be hiring a Process Development Scientist for a bio-manufacturing company in San Diego, CA. We're looking for a candidate who has experience in virus propagation and cell-based assays who will be responsible for overseeing a team focused on viral propagation and assay improvement. The Process Development Scientist will also lead viral custom research projects by independently designing and overseeing and reporting on performance of these projects.Essential Duties:
- Lead viral growth projects in BSL-2 and BSL-3 laboratory settings of taxonomically diverse RNA and DNA viruses and associated cell culture systems
- Lead and perform routine and custom cell based assays to determine virus quantification and virus neutralization such as plaque assays, TCID50, IC50 and PRNT
- Lead the process development efforts around viral manufacturing and assays to improve yield, efficiency, titer, etc
- Lead the team in documenting the manufacturing process to replicate the gains from the process development efforts.
- Development of new virus system assay and production pipelines.
- Identifying, evaluating, and validating new technologies for production of or measuring of virus and viral components.
- Document research using GLP standards when appropriate to support new product design controls including validations, verifications, scale up, and tech transfer to manufacturing, as well as technical and customer support departments. Utilize statistical analysis and graphing software
- Serve as subject matter expert in multiple technical disciplines including virology, molecular biology, genomics, and/ diagnostics.
- Ph. D. in relevant field Microbiology, Virology, Molecular Biology, Molecular Genetics, or Biochemistry with 5-7 years of relevant industry experience
- or M.S. with 14+ years of relevant industry experience
- Experience in a production environment required
- Demonstrated record for innovative research in human viruses
- Experience with viral quantification and antiviral assays;
- Experience with cloning and expression of viral proteins.
- Skilled with molecular analysis for detection and quantitation of target organisms (e.g., design of multiplex assays, digital PCR)
- Experience with sequencing of virus genes, NGS experience preferred