Job DescriptionPOSITION: Bioinformatics Scientist (II or Senior)REPORTS TO:
Bioinformatics Development ManagerDEPARTMENT:
Exempt TWINSTRAND BIOSCIENCES OVERVIEW
TwinStrand Biosciences is a Seattle-based genomics company focused on developing cutting-edge approaches for early detection of cancer, treatment optimization, and risk prediction using our ultra-accurate TwinStrand Duplex Sequencing™ technology. Our technology enables researchers and clinicians to detect genetic "needles in a haystack." By identifying ultra-low frequency DNA mutations with a resolution 10,000-fold greater than conventional tools on the market, TwinStrand enables detection, quantification, and characterization of variants that were previously undetectable. We have recently closed a $50 million Series B financing and will continue our accelerated growth to make a difference in life sciences and medicine.
As a life sciences company committed to protecting the health and safety of our employees, contractors, customers, and communities, all employees of TwinStrand Biosciences are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless an accommodation has been granted for a medical reason or sincerely held religious belief or as otherwise required by applicable law.POSITION OVERVIEW
We are seeking a highly motivated contributor to join our team as a Bioinformatics Scientist (II or Senior)
. You may be an exceptional fit for our team if you are a creative and curious individual who wants to invent and deploy analytical methods that support a diverse set of applications with the goal of rapidly and effectively improving human health. You will be challenged to meet a substantial breadth of computational needs in a young and rapidly growing genomics company. You will be afforded significant autonomy as we want you to feel comfortable owning projects at TwinStrand and growing in your role here.
As a part of our Data Sciences Department, you will work with Product Development Teams comprised of members from many different departments in the design and development of new analytical tools and methods to facilitate data analysis by external researchers. You will serve as a technical team lead throughout the development process, guiding and mentoring other team members. You will complete data analysis projects using your expertise in programming, genome sciences, statistical analysis, and visualization. You will work with an Agile Software Development team to improve the software offerings for our current products (Mutagenesis, AML MRD, and Cell Therapy) as well as working in entirely new application areas. You may also assist in the experimental design of client studies, large consortium collaborations, and verification & validation protocols.
At TwinStrand, you will become an expert in many skills beyond those that are absolutely required for the core role of Bioinformatics Scientist
because we encourage translational skill-building, diverse teams, and intense scientific collaboration. RESPONSIBILITIES
EXPERIENCE AND CAPABILITIES
- Develop and build custom analytical tools or statistical methods while focusing on software development best practices.
- Collaborate with other teams at TwinStrand on topics that include software engineering, assay development, project outcomes, and product features.
- Mentor fellow Bioinformatics Scientists on software development and analysis best practices.
- Anticipate and recognize informatic challenges and make recommendations for solutions and allocation of resources needed to meet company goals.
- Perform end-to-end analysis of project data that includes quality control, data tidying, hypothesis testing, interpretation, and subsequent graphical presentation using our own internal software toolkits as well as open-source methods.
- Influence experimental design regarding anticipated data needs for our customers as well as internal development projects. Help test, troubleshoot, and improve experimental designs with the Scientific Research Group to increase value to our customers.
- Maintain detailed documentation of all analysis to ensure excellent reproducibility.
- Generate and present data reports for the team, outside stakeholders, and customers that translate complex ideas into relevant and intuitive explanations.
- Prepare conference abstracts, manuscripts, and informatic deliverables for both grant and patent applications.
- Maintain awareness of relevant literature, attend national meetings, and keep up with new genomics analysis techniques and approaches.
- Other duties as assigned.
OUTSTANDING CANDIDATES WILL
- A creative problem solver who is resourceful and innovative.
- Experience mentoring other bioinformatics scientists and/or coordinating development projects with team members from different non-technical groups.
- Skilled at high-quality scientific programming applied to biological topics.
- Familiar with the current landscape of bioinformatics tools in Next Generation DNA Sequencing and standard NGS data formats.
- Expert in at least two programming language with proficiency in others. Ideally a strong ability to write in both Python and R.
- Thorough in your code documentation and strong reproducible record keeping using version control practices and tools like Git.
- Knowledgeable in statistical methods and their application to genomics.
- Proficiency in querying relevant genomic variation and cancer genome databases.
- Internally driven to dig deeply through various data types to seek answers, gain insights from unexpected findings, and question assumptions.
- Self-directed and takes on challenges yet are comfortable asking for help when needed.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a history of success working in cross-functional teams.
- Someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment with ambitious goals and timelines.
- A person who understands our niche in biotechnology and has at least 3 years of experience in bioinformatics, computational genomics, or a related field. Industry experience ideal.
WHAT WE OFFER
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. in bioinformatics, computer science, engineering, or related field.
- 4+ years experience working in the biotech industry.
- Proven track record of delivering high quality bioinformatics software tools for use by others which may include a strong publication record, contributions to GitHub repositories, publicly available analysis tools, or relevant patent filings.
- Experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry from previous roles.
- Ability to work with any one of the popular cloud environments (AWS, GCP, Azure), containerization technologies, common workflow languages and tools, as well as data tidying and data storage best-practices.
ABOUT TWINSTRAND BIOSCIENCES
- A mission to be proud of. You will help to provide access to a technology with unprecedented sensitivity that makes it possible to solve previously unsolvable scientific problems in basic research and translational medicine, with direct and immediate benefits to human health.
- Competitive compensation and equity incentive plan.
- Comprehensive benefits: medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and dependents, sponsored life, short and long-term disability insurance, and 401(k) retirement savings plan with company matching.
- Recognition that outside life exists and is important, that flexibility is needed for family and that work can often be effectively carried out remotely.
- Casual but high-performing work environment.
- Social events and weekly happy hours.
We are a vibrant, young company committed to applying a powerful new genomic technology across disciplines to improve human health and accelerate scientific discovery. Our mission is to develop and deliver the unprecedented accuracy of duplex sequencing for applications in the life sciences and medicine where it can do the greatest good for the maximum number of people.
Our business is multifaceted and encompasses internal development projects, external collaborations, and empowering of our partner organizations and customers. Our mission is strongly rooted in academic principles of responsible citizenship within the broader scientific community, yet executed with the nimbleness of a startup, such that research can be rapidly translated into solutions that benefit the scientific and medical community. To the greatest extent possible, we strive for open sharing of knowledge and discovery through academic presentations and peer-reviewed publications.
At TwinStrand we put a premium on creativity, dynamic thinking, and a rigorous scientific approach. You will be challenged to push the boundaries of your knowledge, skills, and comfort zone and to take ownership of your area of expertise. We expect all team members to take on some form of leadership role over time and mentor new team members as we continue to expand. We want every member of our community to come to work excited each day and able to take pride in the high-quality science to improve human health that they are contributing to.
TwinStrand Biosciences is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.