UP Posting - Academic
FACULTY OF ENGINEERING, BUILT ENVIRONMENT AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
DEPARTMENT OF INFORMATION SCIENCE
LECTURER (1 post)
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Teaching at various undergraduate and honours levels as determined by the Head of Department, with expertise in one or more of the following: multimedia authoring tools, virtual reality and virtual world design, game studies, multimedia theory and trends, web development technologies;
- Supervision of final year undergraduate projects;
- Supervision of postgraduate students at honours level and at least co-supervision of master's level students;
- Conducting both independent and collaborative research, publishing research articles in accredited journals, and presenting at applicable conferences;
- Participating in the department's strategic initiatives regarding teaching, research and community engagement;
- Academic administration and other duties as determined by the Head of Department.
- A master's degree in Multimedia or a very closely related field;
- Appropriate working experience either in academia or industry;
- At least registration for a doctoral degree.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES) for both levels:
- Good, appropriate language and communication skills;
- Good, appropriate teaching and research skills;
- Good presentation skills;
- Very good scholarly writing skills;
- Attention to detail and accuracy;
- Ability to facilitate e-learning and e-communication;
- Ability to plan and conduct assessment events;
- Ability to work in teams and to lead teams;
- Ability to take initiative and to explore academic collaborative work opportunities;
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Preference will be given to candidates with specialisation in virtual reality and game studies and with the ability to teach in more than one field of specialisation;
- Evidence of university teaching experience;
- Evidence of membership of relevant scholarly and professional associations;
- Some publications/conference papers in peer reviewed journals/conference proceedings will be an added advantage - specifically international journals and conference proceedings, and a balance between sole and collaborative authorship;
- Industry experience within the field of Multimedia and the preferred areas of specialisation;
- Being a team player in the co-ordination of academic administration-related activities.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent's level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za , and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV in UP format;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- A brief teaching portfolio;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
CLOSING DATE: 26 May 2022
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Mrs Ronel Gropp, Tel: (012) 420 3762 (E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org) for application-related enquiries, and Prof Ina Fourie, Tel: (012) 420 5216 (
for enquiries relating to the post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.