Description: About Research Square
Research Square Company, a five-time INC 5000 award winner, exists to make research communication faster, fairer, and more useful. Through our industry-leading preprint platform, Research Square, research promotion tools, and AJE's comprehensive suite of manuscript preparation services, we are proud to have supported over 2.5 million authors in 192 countries since our founding in 2004. Across all sides of our business, our team of former researchers and publishing industry professionals truly understand the importance of sharing research results with the world. By helping researchers communicate their work more effectively, we accelerate the pace of global discovery and advancement.Job Summary
We currently have a challenging opportunity for a highly motivated individual to fill the role of Scientific Editor. As a Scientific Editor, you will be providing expert editorial advice and editing on research papers, grant applications, and other scientific text in a range of fields. The Scientific Editor's role is to provide high-quality editing and constructive and critical advice on the document based on their expertise in scientific writing and their in-depth knowledge of the field. The editing will primarily aim to improve logic, narrative, and emphasis, with comments to support the editing and to suggest further potential ways for the author to maximize the clarity and effectiveness of the text.Essential Functions
- Complete the main editing and commenting stage on scientific documents in a range of fields related to their own, to high-quality standards, and to deadlines
- Perform a final round of editing in documents on which the main editing stage has already taken place, in a wide range of scientific fields
- Ensure that our editorial input meets the needs of our customers and is also mindful of the needs of journal editors and peer reviewers
- Doctoral degree (Ph.D.) the field of physical science
- An exceptionally strong grasp of the English language and exceptional editing skills
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills
- A customer-focused mindset
- Enthusiastic, committed, self-motivated, and able to thrive in both collaborative and autonomous environments
- A high level of personal accountability and excellent time management skills, including the ability to meet simultaneous short-term deadlines
- Flexible and adaptable in the face of change
- Passionate about helping researchers successfully communicate their work
- Has at least one publication in a leading specialist journal
- Has postdoctoral research experience or clinical experience
- Has experience of copyediting/editing scientific text within an STM journal or experience of selecting papers for publication and managing peer review at an STM journal
- Is interested in training editors and providing feedback on their work
The starting, non-negotiable, annual salary for this role is $51,500.
- Relocation is not required as this position can be remote-based.
- This is a US-based role.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States for any employer.Working at Research Square Company
Our team embraces and fuels change, fights for simplicity invest in customers' success, and applies a data-driven approach to continuously improve and magnify our impact. We have developed tools and services that have been adopted by major international publishers to improve the publishing experience for their authors.
We are a high-growth, family-friendly, and mission-driven company that regularly wins awards for our workplace culture, pace of growth, and innovations. Our organization is casual and flexible while also being stimulating and dynamic. We have a results-focused work environment.
- Sloan Award for Workplace Flexibility (2011, 2012)
- When Work Works Award (2014, 2016, 2017)
- NC Parenting Magazine's Family Friendly 50 (2013, 2014)
- Triangle Business Journal's Best Places to Work (2017, 2019, 2020)
- NCBC Breastfeeding-Friendly Employer Award (2017)
- Family Forward NC Featured Business (2019)
Research Square Company's policy is to provide equal employment opportunity in all its employment practices without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, marital status, protected veteran status, military status, age, individuals with disabilities, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression or any other legally protected category. Applicants for US-based positions with Research Square must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required as a condition of hire.
Research Square supports individuals with disabilities and provides reasonable accommodations to job applicants. If you need assistance completing our online job application, email ...@researchsquare.com. General inquiries, such as those regarding the status of a job application, will not receive a reply.
Our DEI Journey
Our Award-Winning Culture
Associated topics: article, composer, compositor, content, draft, editor, editorial, newswriter, proofread, text