Community Education Individual Music Lesson Instructor
District 214 Community Education is looking for qualified candidates to teach individual music lessons at schools throughout the district during the school day, after school, and on weekends to both high school students and community members. Currently offered instruments include:
- Strings: Violin, Viola, Cello, Bass, Guitar
- Winds: Flute, Clarinet, Oboe, Saxophone
- Brass: Trumpet, Trombone, French Horn, Low Brass
- Other: Voice, Piano, Percussion, Jazz Improvisation
This position is funded by user fees.
HOURS: Flexible. Hours not to exceed 29 hours per week or 599 hours per year.
- Various District 214 schools
- Provide best-in-class private music lesson instruction to students of all ages and abilities.
- Work closely with school music teachers and Community Education staff to ensure program needs are appropriately met.
- Carefully maintain accurate records regarding student attendance, teaching schedule, and student registration status.
- Maintain regular communication with and promptly respond to students, parents, school music teachers, and Community Education staff.
- Actively market yourself, your teaching studio, and District 214 Community Education to generate interest, enthusiasm, and enrollments, and to build an engaged community of lifelong learners.
- Prepare students for and present at least one studio recital per year.
- Bachelor's degree in music or equivalent experience required.
- Ability to teach a wide range of ages and experience levels required.
- Ability and willingness to market yourself and your teaching studio required.
- Reasonably tech-savvy (must be able to navigate an online registration system, use an online conferencing tool like Zoom, comfortable with electronic communication, etc.)
- Experience in performing and teaching a wide range of musical styles, especially classical and jazz, is preferred.
- Instructors who are also currently active performers are strongly preferred.
- Available to work evenings and/or weekends strongly preferred.
SALARY: $40 per hour
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Complete an online application and provide the following information:
- Complete an online application
- Provide a resume listing experience, training and education
- Two Letters of recommendation
- Links to videos of recent performances or teaching demonstrations are strongly encouraged.
This position also requires a full background check and fingerprinting as well as the completion of yearly state-mandated training modules.
Click on the RED "APPLY" button above to begin an online application.
"We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our district.
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status."