Chief Purpose of this position:
VCU School of Nursing invites candidates to apply to the Associate Dean and Department Chair position. The Associate Dean and Department Chair (ADDC) is charged with administrative leadership and oversight of an assigned academic program (graduate or undergraduate) and assigned department. The assignment is based on the candidates academic leadership experiences. This position ensures academic excellence and curriculum consistent with the mission and goals of VCU SON and that programs are reflective of national trends, local and regional needs, and professional standards. The Department Chair's responsibilities include oversight of faculty orientation, faculty development and mentoring efforts, development of annual faculty work plans and teaching assignments, and evaluation of full-time and adjunct faculty for whom they supervise. This position provides input regarding the hiring priorities of full-time faculty and has the authorization to hire adjunct faculty. The ADDC works closely with the Dean, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs (ADAA), the Associate Dean for Research, Scholarship and Innovation (ADRSI), the Associate Dean for Practice and Community Engagement (ADPCE), and particularly with the other ADDC to support the academic, research, service and practice missions and to facilitate communication within the organization.
1. Supports diversity and inclusion and fosters a positive work environment, interpersonal relationships and communication, collaboration, and consensus-building within the department and across the organization.
2. Establishes program- and department-related goals and initiatives that support the overall mission of the school and university.
3. Provides guidance to program directors (PDs) to ensure academic integrity and teaching excellence within programs.
4. Collaborates with the ADAA in preparation of internal and external administrative reports.
5. Assists with the recruitment and retention of qualified and diverse faculty and staff.
6. Leads organizational-level orientation for new faculty and staff assigned to the department.
7. Develops annual faculty work plans (including teaching assignments) for faculty within the department.
8. Evaluates staff, full-time faculty, part-time faculty, and adjunct faculty within the department (with input from the ADRSI, ADPCE, and PDs as appropriate).
9. Mentors department faculty and ensures opportunities for faculty development.
10. Addresses faculty, staff, and student issues within programs and the department in alignment with university and school policies.
11. Manages program and department resources.
12. Interfaces with external constituents (university or community) as assigned.
13. Maintains personal academic faculty obligations in teaching, research, and service in accordance with an area of expertise and as negotiated by Dean.
- Currently licensed or eligible for licensure to practice nursing in Virginia
- Earned doctorate in nursing or related discipline (at least one graduate degree must be in nursing)
- Teaching experience in nursing programs
- Demonstrated leadership experience in academic programs
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU
- Tenured or tenure-eligible
- Experience mentoring and evaluating faculty
- Academic administrative experience
- History of sustained external funding for research and/or academic projects