The Transcriptomics Group from the Center for Applied Bioinformatics at St. Jude Childrens Research Hospital is looking for a highly motivated and creative Bioinformatics Research Scientist or Lead Bioinformatics Analyst to develop and apply innovative analytical approaches to understand the underlying mechanisms that drive pediatric cancers and other human diseases with bulk, single cell and spatial expression data. The Scientist or Analyst will contribute ideas to automate and improve existing analysis methods, assist in preparing and submitting manuscripts for publication and assist with establishing and documenting protocols or best practices for common research tasks. Specific responsibilities may involve developing and evaluating analytic tools of sequencing data, data visualization, and statistical approaches for functional genomics analysis. Candidates with a strong background in bioinformatics, genomics, cancer genomics, mouse genetics or related fields and knowledge in leukemia and immunogenomics are highly encouraged to apply for this position. Excellent communication skills are essential.
The Center provides a highly interactive environment with collaborative opportunities across basic and clinical departments, access to high performance computing clusters, cloud computing environment, innovative visualization tools, highly automated analytical pipelines and mentorship from scientists with deep experience in data analysis, data management and delivery of high-quality results for highly competitive projects. The members of this Center have the opportunities to publish high profile papers with prominent authorship depending on the intellectual contribution. This position is located in Memphis, TN, and relocation assistance is available.
• Bachelors degree is required
Bioinformatics Research Scientist
• Seven (7) years of relevant post-degree work experience is required.
• Five (5) years of relevant post-degree work experience is required with a Masters degree.
• Two (2) years of relevant post-degree work experience is required with a PhD.
Lead Bioinformatics Analyst
• Six (6) years of relevant experience is required.
• Four (4) years of relevant experience may be acceptable with a Masters degree.
• No experience may be acceptable with a PHD in Computer Science or Bioinformatics, with a background in the biological sciences.
• Experience in programming (Python, Java, C/C++, perl or other programming/scripting languages) under linux/unix environment is required.
• Experience with and the ability to deal with a wide range of users is required.
• Experience of independent data analyses and project management is required.
• End user support and training experience is required.