ATL is seeking a dynamic Microbiologist to join our team of dedicated professionals focused on client service and quality in the Cincinnati area location.The associate will be supporting the analysis of a multitude of cultures and microbes as well as assisting in a multitude of Human Studies. Additionally, the Associate will be responsible for completing routine microbiology work as needed in the laboratory. Our Associate should demonstrate a willingness to work with other ATL colleagues in the lab, to lend a hand during down time and to work as part of a team.Major Responsibilities:
- Calculation and preparation of solutions for testing.
- Optical Density (OD) measurement of organisms.
- Utilizing fundamentals of microbial testing, including good aseptic technique, diluting cultures, plating microorganisms, and counting colonies.
- Use of selective and differential medias.
- Ability to discern presence of contamination as indicated by unexpected or multiple morphologies, changes in appearance (plate or culture), changes in expected growth rate etc.
- Preparation and maintenance of testing cultures (bacteria, yeast and mold) from freezer stock and ability to isolate and create glycerol stocks from existing cultures.
- Sterilization of materials used for testing.
- Preparation of growth Media.
- Completing experiments as directed by client sponsor in the expected timeframe.
- Recording data (Excel system) and assuring data is submitted to sponsor.
- Detailed record of work done/protocol followed pertaining to assay development.
- Willingness to work with other ATL colleagues in the lab, to lend a hand during down time and work well as part of a team.
- Lab maintenance as necessary, including stocking of consumable materials, media ordering, proper storage of research materials, and organization of microbiology cultures and lab reagents.
- Daily calibrations of instrumentation as needed, including logbook entries where necessary.
- Utilizing safe waste disposal practices in accordance with site regulations and waste vendor.
- Bachelor's in Microbiology - or - science degree with dedicated experience in microbiology
- Experience calculating and creating solutions and dilutions needed for testing.
- Familiarity completing microbiology research/work in an academic/industry setting.
- Solid fundamentals for microbiological testing - will immediately build on these fundamentals to learn more complex assays.
- Open communication regarding status of experiments and instrumentation in the lab.
- Ability to work independently and closely with sponsor.
- Flexibility for changing priorities, as identification of raw materials of interest creates new work streams.
- Experience culturing and maintaining microorganisms.
- Microbiology field of expertise - highly preferred; other scientific fields of study with dedicated research or job experience in microbiology - required.
- Prior experience conducting MIC/SPGI assays - preferred.
- Prior experience conducting plate-based assays (96 well) - preferred.
- Experience using computers for data entry, analysis with Excel, ability to learn basic software with some training.
- Prior client facing experience - preferred.
At ATL, we don't just do the science, we have the opportunity to transform organizations. We need people who want to grow with us and contribute directly to our clients' success. As scientific sourcing experts, the largest and most respected companies in the world ask us to create innovative solutions to big problems. We have more input and influence, so we can have a significant impact on brand-name products and visible projects. And you can play a bigger role. Interested and qualified candidates, please apply with a resume and salary requirements. ATL offers a comprehensive benefits package including: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Pet Insurance, a 401(k) Retirement Plan with company contribution, Paid Time Off, and an Associate Assistance Plan. In addition, we offer a competitive salary and the advantage of a professional environment that supports your development and recognizes your achievements. ATL is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the workplace.