The Section of Emergency Medicine in the Department of Pediatrics at Baylor College of Medicine has an opening for a PRN Advance Practice Provider position at The Children's Hospital of San Antonio. Responsibilities include working under the direction of a physician in the applicable area of specialization, provides health care services within scope of practice:
Performs initial and periodic medical history, physical examinations and mental status exams.
Records findings of exam to be reviewed and co-signed by attending physician.
Orders and interprets laboratory and radiographic studies under attending physician.
Obtains appropriate body fluid samples for culture & sensitivity specimen(s) when indicated.
Write order(s) to alter medication(s) subject to view by attending physician.
Performs a wide range of surgical and/or medical procedures such as wound care/laceration repair, incision and drainage of abscesses, lumbar puncture, bedside use of ultrasound and others.
Provides counseling to patient(s) and relative(s) on various physical and mental problems.
Documents all patient encounters, records observations, interventions, and actions in a medically appropriate manner on the patient's medical record.
Demonstrates appropriate critical thinking, interpersonal skills and the ability to prioritize task completion.
Acts as a patient advocate.
Attends, participates and contributes to group/practice meetings and development of policies and procedures when requested
Provides advanced nursing care to patients in a clinical setting in an area of specialization under the direction of a physician.
- Obtain detailed history and perform physical examinations.
- Perform, order, and interpret diagnostic procedures in accordance with relevant health concerns of the patient.
- Prescribes appropriate pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatments.
- Maintain records and write orders and progress notes in patient charts as to status, treatments, and procedures.
- Monitors and ensures accuracy of recording on patient medical records.
- Provide follow-up health maintenance care to patients in accordance with protocols established with the supervising physician.
- Communicate with physicians, patients, and the family members of patients concerning patient care.
- Collaborates with providers, and practice staff in identifying appropriate patients for care management.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
- Education Required: Masters degree in in Nursing.
- Experience Required:None required.
- Verification of current certification with the Pediatric Nursing Certification Board (PNCB);
- Current controlled substances certificate from the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA);
- Background working with children with chronic illness, and knowledge of long term medications and drug interactions;
- Strong physical assessment and diagnostic skills as well as experience in patient and family education and coordination of care;
- Certification/Licenses/Registration: Current license as a Registered Nurse (RN) by the State of Texas Board of Nursing. Current Texas Licensure as an Advanced Practice Nurse (APRN-NP), and specialty certification as required by department. Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.