The senior research scientist is a key member of the Discovery Research Team and participates in the development of Spark’s gene delivery platforms. She/he will be critical for the development of novel AAV capsids with enhanced properties, in particular the ability to transduce specific cell types. The discovery of such capsids will greatly facilitate the translation from in vitro through in vivo proof of concept and ultimately the clinic.
He/she will be responsible for:
- Developing and implementing the production of improved AAV capsid libraries.
- Establishing approaches that allow the isolation of AAV capsid variants that transduce specific cell types in both rodents and NHPs.
- Actively collaborate with the NGS and machine leaning groups to further enhance the power of using directed evolution to isolate AAVs with tailored properties.
- Actively participating in joint programs and collaborations with external parties.
- Writing study reports, manuscripts and present results at appropriate scientific meetings.
The Senior Research Scientist position requires experience with molecular biology and/or virology:
- Expertise in the design and construction of AAV/bacterial/phage libraries highly desirable.
- Basic knowledge in NGS and bioinformatics (in collaboration with experts in these fields) to design improved second generation libraries.
- Familiarity with AAV gene therapy is not required
Job Function and Description
- Design, characterize and validate novel AAV capsid libraries. Use these libraries to select for cell-type specific AAV variants and AAV variants with other improved properties. This includes executing experiments at the bench, extensive literature review and identifying lead candidates for preclinical work.
- Organize, record, and discuss experimental data.
- Support and advise junior colleagues.
- Generate technical reports, prepare presentation slides.
- Lab meetings and administration work.
- Typically has a PhD in a biological discipline and 3-5 years of related experience.
- Familiarity with NGS and bioinformatics.
- Experience in general and advanced lab techniques such as plasmid design and construction, molecular cloning, qPCR, cell culture, ELISA, plate-based luciferase and/or enzymatic activity assays, SDS-PAGE/Western blotting, etc. is required.
Please be aware that Spark mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law. Nearest Major Market:
Join the Spark Team
We were born of innovation, springing from the curiosity, imagination and dedication of remarkable scientists and healthcare visionaries. Our shared mission is to challenge the inevitability of genetic disease by discovering, developing, and delivering treatments in ways unimaginable - until now.
We don't follow footsteps. We create the path.