The High-Throughput Process Development team is seeking a highly motivated associate to support high-throughput formulation development. The role will use automation to study and optimize storage of adeno-associated viral vectors in Spark’s industry-leading gene therapy programs.
The candidate will work with senior automation and formulation scientists to utilize cutting-edge automation systems to conduct stability studies, and a variety of analytical HPLC and particulate detection systems to assess changes in quality.
The candidate must have laboratory experience in bioengineering or biochemistry, with experience in either (a) formulation development of biologics, (b) analytical HPLC (ion exchange, size-exclusion), or (c) analytical subvisible particulate studies.
Familiarity with automation systems (Tecan, Hamilton, Unchained Labs), a programming language (Python, Matlab, Visual Basic, R), or multivariate statistics (DoE, JMP, Design Expert) are preferred but not required.
The major responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Use automation systems to execute high-throughput stability studies
• Analytical testing of samples from studies using HPLC, particulate detection, or similar.
• Work with automation scientists to customize automation methods for key studies
• Work with formulation scientists to design and execute key studies
• Analytical testing to support key formulation development activities
• Organize and analyze data in clear, concise, and timely manner
Use automation systems to execute high-throughput formulation development studies
Analytical testing of samples from studies using HPLC, particulate detection, or similar.
Work with automation scientists to customize automation methods for formulation development studies
Prepare process development reports and technical documents
Prepare presentations in various team and project meetings.
• BS/MS degree in biochemistry, chemistry, chemical engineering, bioengineering, or related area with laboratory experience (3 year BS, 1 year MS).
• Experience with one of analytical chromatography (ion exchange, size exclusion), light scattering (DLS, SLS), or subvisible particle characterization (HIAC, HALO, MFI)
• Industry experience in formulation development or analytical testing
• Experience with formulation development.
• Familiarity with a programming language (Python, R, Matlab, or Visual Basic).
• Experience with liquid handling systems (TECAN, Hamilton, Beckman)
• Experience with biologics or viral vectors (such as AAV, monoclonal antibodies, vaccines) in the biopharma industry.
• Strong organizational skills and detailed documentation abilities
• Able to quickly learn new skills and troubleshoot new problems
• Work well with multiple stakeholders
• Perform multiple tasks simultaneously, keep accurate records, follow instructions, and comply with company policies.
• Work with formulation scientists to design, execute, and analyze key experiments
• Work with automation scientists to improve automated methods
• Work with statisticians to analyze multivariate datasets
• Must be able to lift 25 pounds
• Must be flexible with work schedule and available to work extended hours as determined by management
• Must be able to wear appropriate clean room attire and all Personal Protective Equipment
• Must be able to stand for long periods
Please be aware that Spark mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Join the Spark Team
We were born of innovation, springing from the curiosity, imagination and dedication of remarkable scientists and healthcare visionaries. Our shared mission is to challenge the inevitability of genetic disease by discovering, developing, and delivering treatments in ways unimaginable - until now.
We don't follow footsteps. We create the path.